RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about time to change my oil, but at the same time, it's nearing the end of the season.

Does it make more sense to change the oil prior to the end of the season, leaving new oil in there over winter, or to leave the old oil in there, and change it first thing after winter? Is there a benefit to one or the other? Will old oil in there do any damage or muck up the works?

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Change the oil, do not leave it sitting with all the contaminates(gasoline, clutch material, grime) in the oil -sitting on the bearings, clutches, and settling in the bottem of the engine...
Kind of you working in the garden, on your hands and knees - Getting really nastey.. Then going to bed for the weekend... Would YOU be happy, monday morning??

·
Registered
158 Posts
good advice, change the oil before the winter. make sure you drain the tank or put fuel stabilizer in and top it off all the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of you working in the garden, on your hands and knees - Getting really nastey.. Then going to bed for the weekend... Would YOU be happy, monday morning??
That's one of the most poignant analogies i've heard in a long time. Well done, sir.

I'll be changing that oil this weekend.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
good advice, change the oil before the winter. make sure you drain the tank or put fuel stabilizer in and top it off all the way.
More good advice. Add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer, top off the tank, then run the engine a bit to get that stabilized fuel flowing thru the entire system. Same with the fresh oil change; run it a bit so everything is coated in the fresh oil.
Topping off the fuel tank to the very top prevents condensation over the winter months inside your tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I drain the oil and fill with cheap reg motorcycle oil leave filter. Come Spring drain and change oil and filter with the Motul I normally run. "storage" oil goes into lawn mower.

·
Registered
575 Posts
more good advice. Add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer, top off the tank, then run the engine a bit to get that stabilized fuel flowing thru the entire system. Same with the fresh oil change; run it a bit so everything is coated in the fresh oil.
Topping off the fuel tank to the very top prevents condensation over the winter months inside your tank.
+10000000000000000

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
More good advice. Add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer, top off the tank, then run the engine a bit to get that stabilized fuel flowing thru the entire system. Same with the fresh oil change; run it a bit so everything is coated in the fresh oil.
Next purchase should be a battery tender and keep the battery some place warm if you don't have one for the bike.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I never leave my battery out in the cold for more than a couple days. Then I bring it in and sleep with it. Plugged into my trickle charger.
Ima trained professional. Dont try this at home. :D :p

·
Registered
365 Posts
All good advice,

Where do you live? Depending on location I don't believe in "storing" a Bike lol, KEEP RIDING!!!

Especially since I'm about to move to yuma az

1 - 10 of 10 Posts