RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not happy with this bike so far, Just got her and its been one problem after the next. Just got it out of the shop on saturday and now i got stranded today, bike wouldnt start. I'm thinking battery/alternator. The battery was just replaced with a YTZ12S YUASA BATTERY-174.99$. SO im thinking alternator. When cranked up the the bikes lights and screen come on, the starter clicks once, then whatever is under the cowl will click like crazy. Any suggestions? and if it is an alternator what am i lookin at to fix that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not happy with this bike so far, Just got her and its been one problem after the next. Just got it out of the shop on saturday and now i got stranded today, bike wouldnt start. I'm thinking battery/alternator. The battery was just replaced with a YTZ12S YUASA BATTERY-174.99$. SO im thinking alternator. When cranked up the the bikes lights and screen come on, the starter clicks once, then whatever is under the cowl will click like crazy. Any suggestions? and if it is an alternator what am i lookin at to fix that?

Its rare an altenator will go bad, essentially its a fixed magnet rotating over a fixed coil....theres nothing to really go bad. Check your rectifier/regulator. Check your starter solenoid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If it isnt the alternator! either way im looking at 100$+.

Would it matter to you if the bike went basically unused since 2001, would that affect the alternators function at all? Sitting dormantly?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it isnt the alternator! either way im looking at 100$+.

Would it matter to you if the bike went basically unused since 2001, would that affect the alternators function at all? Sitting dormantly?
The alterator like I said is virtually bullet proof. Sounds like you need to get out your electric meter and check everything.

·
Registered
863 Posts
1st off its not an "alternator" its a stator. The clicking is probably starter related. If the battery keeps going down I would check and just to be safe because they are cheap enough go ahead and replace your regulator/rectifier.

The gremlins on these bikes are always electrical and it sucks I know but get you a manual and just take your time and you'll find it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the bike to the same shop that raped me before.... Turns out the problem is whats stated on a different thread. The fuel pressure regulator flooded the motor the it wouldnt even turn over. No electrical problems. SO now i had them overnight the FPR to have it ready tomorrow. I am a little pissed yet again cause theyre gonna try and make me buy new spark plugs and a bunch of other shit cause when the engine completly flooded it screwed them up. I dont have a problem replacing the FPR but the bike was just in service 2 days ago and i spent 2000$ and they knew there was a problem but didnt know it was the FPR, they thought it might be the injectors.... So i rode the bike once, wouldnt start after and now im supposed to pay for additional stuff like the spark plugs and the oil filter, etc. Am i out of line to think they should have identified that and because of that i shouldnt have to pay for the stuff that broke cause they didnt diagonose the problem correctly? Just wondering if i have a case to get out of buying all the additional shit.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Its not called rape if you enjoy it. Seeing that your going back to the same place that made your butthole alittle looser looks like it doesn't bother you all that much.

I doubt you'll get any freebie out of the deal cause they'll just come up with some sort of excuse why they diagnosed it wrong you'll buy it and fork out more cash to correct the problem at hand now.

Just think of the nicer bike you could have gotten with the cash your spending on this POS !!!

Good Luck bud she'll be purring in no time. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not that i enjoy it, I am going back because they have history fixing it. They have had the bike for three weeks and since it isnt right from a business standpoint they need to correct it. Which after talking to the general manager, seems like they will.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its not that i enjoy it, I am going back because they have history fixing it. They have had the bike for three weeks and since it isnt right from a business standpoint they need to correct it. Which after talking to the general manager, seems like they will.
You wont need new plugs either. They just need to be dried off,,,,

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know how you feel as my regulator went out a week after buying my bike and I spent 4 months trying to figure out what the problem was, almost sold it a few times. Trust me when I say it is worth the wait, after I changed out the regulator and it was idling fine I had a small grin and after my first ride around the block had a grin from ear to ear.:)This is my wife's bike and trust me she was on my back to fix it all the time and now she will not give it up, the bike that is...lol

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
All my bodywork was cracked and had to be replaced, the wiring harnesses were butchered up and had to be replaced, the right headlight shell had to be replaced.
So you're not alone with prior problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All my bodywork was cracked and had to be replaced, the wiring harnesses were butchered up and had to be replaced, the right headlight shell had to be replaced.
So you're not alone with prior problems.
Got the bike today, all is well. Thanks guys

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did some research to find this old thread, but this is exactly what happened to my bike, turned the key electric came on went to start it, rtied to crank over and then a continuous clicking coming from under the seat cowl. Did you ever find out what part was causing this problem?! Ive been searching for info to try to replace it myself so that i wouldnt get raped by the sop, PM me and let me know what parts you needed to fix this problem, thanks man.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
No offense intended but you dont learn anything by taking it to the shop. Get yourself and manual, a multi meter and some basic tools. With the help of this forum you can do anything with this bike. Its knowledge you will have the rest of your life and a real satisfaction in doing it yourself and saving money. Its easy to just drop it off and bitch about the bill...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thats what i would love to do, and am in the process of doing, learning. Which is why i have asked the starter of the threat if he ever figured out what weas wrong, and if eh could post an answer. So that i can order parts and do the job myself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ive never worked on bikes before, so please donr flame me for that, unecesary attitude is not needed, i asked a simple question, to the starter of the thread.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hopefully you didn't hydraulic the pistons/connecting rods with the flooding of the cylinder.
A bike sitting a long time will require you to check all electrical connections, and connectors for the various wiring looms.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took the bike to the same shop that raped me before.... Turns out the problem is whats stated on a different thread. The fuel pressure regulator flooded the motor the it wouldnt even turn over. No electrical problems. SO now i had them overnight the FPR to have it ready tomorrow. I am a little pissed yet again cause theyre gonna try and make me buy new spark plugs and a bunch of other shit cause when the engine completly flooded it screwed them up. I dont have a problem replacing the FPR but the bike was just in service 2 days ago and i spent 2000$ and they knew there was a problem but didnt know it was the FPR, they thought it might be the injectors.... So i rode the bike once, wouldnt start after and now im supposed to pay for additional stuff like the spark plugs and the oil filter, etc. Am i out of line to think they should have identified that and because of that i shouldnt have to pay for the stuff that broke cause they didnt diagonose the problem correctly? Just wondering if i have a case to get out of buying all the additional shit.
Holy crap...what did you have done that cost you over 2k?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts