RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Hell I had something close to that happen to me this morning.
Some old lady just turned left across three lanes of traffic to enter a strip mall.
If I had been going just a bit faster, I would have T-boned her in the rear passenger side.
The reason I wasn't going any faster was I knew not to trust my fellow "drivers".
This happens all the time down here "God's waiting room".
It happens so often, you get to the point where it doesn't even affect you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's crazy to get numb to that.
Quoted from my Mother " You be careful Mr."
I keep a list of areas to avoid in my head and I'm always adding new places to that list..
I'm not much of a city rider myself, I tend to get the heck out of dodge and head out into the boons.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was driving down the main drag of Tampa (4+ lanes in each direction) and a lady runs a red light and comes skidding into the intersection immediately ahead of me. I am on my VFR and immediately throw it into what was intended to be a "low-side dive to the left, the rear tire catches and attempts to high-side me, but I was able to save it by straightening it out enough to survive. I slid past the front of her car and missed it by about 4 inches and the bike never touched any plastic to the pavement. The only damage was a lost garage door opener that was flung off during the near high-side. I learned new respect for Dunlop D207's on that day.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The silver car made a left turn from the wrong lane of travel and failed to yield to oncoming traffic, nearly cancelling that biker's Christmas. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling... :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Always assume slow cars (Or those stopped) at a junction are about to do something dangerous and be prepared...

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I've always treated any car waiting at a junction, etc. as a potential danger and go through slow enough to do something evasive if I need to.
If a car is going unusually slow, that's an especially likely hazzard. He may be about to stop, U turn, open his door, etc. He's probably going slow for a reason, so never assume it's safe (Although maybe not so relevant to this video).

I think braking hard a lot & flicking the bike into corners fast is good practice for when we really need to do it, for example. Panic is something that should be avoided at all costs when on the road, especially on 2 wheels.

That biker could have looked further ahead and reacted before reaching the junction...

Then again (Just watched the film once more) the silver car wasn't in the correct lane for crossing and made his turn suddenly, so was difficult to predict, but all the more reason to never assume it's safe to go through a junction without caution. No point blaming the other bad driver after a crash event. Better to be prepared to avoid.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
The silver car made a left turn from the wrong lane of travel and failed to yield to oncoming traffic, nearly cancelling that biker's Christmas. Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling... :)
Around here they're called tourists.
I've witnessed them zipping across 5 lanes of busy traffic simply because they missed their destination.
Most folks continue on and make a U-turn, but not these knuckleheads.
I know they must drive like this in their home state, but why they aren't dead escapes me.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
That's crazy to get numb to that.
Quoted from my Mother " You be careful Mr."
I keep a list of areas to avoid in my head and I'm always adding new places to that list..
I'm not much of a city rider myself, I tend to get the heck out of dodge and head out into the boons.
Oh no, I'm not numb to the situation. It's when situations like this occur so frequently, it is not a surprise. Matter of fact, it's expected behavior.
And when it's expected, one plans for that eventuality and either avoids the area (mostly) or rides very defensively to guard against it.
I myself do not like riding in city traffic (especially during tourist season).
I usually head out to the country where life is more serene.
But I do have to head home, and that's through the city unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Some old lady just turned left across three lanes of traffic to enter a strip mall.
Its in the Floriduh drivers hand book that this is an accepted practice.....especially when on US 19:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts