• Unnecessary

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In going over the forum software, we have the option of adding a "Seller Rating" system. I've seen other forums use it and it seems to work pretty well. In case your not familiar with it, you have the ability to rate your sale transactions with other members. Somewhat similar in principle to Ebay feedback. What does everbody think? Hopefully this would help curb some of the issues some have had with other members involving selling items. As always, if it doesn't pan out, we can always drop it...what does everbody think?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I'm in to give it a shot. Would it be possible to rate recent exchanges prior to implementation? I have had a few excellent transactions that would warrant positive feedback. Don't need to worry about the negative;)

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe so...it also has the ability to edit feedback within a certain time frame.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
sounds good, can't hurt as long as everyone is honest.

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right...it's based on the honor system and can be removed as quickly as it's started. Like I said, feedback for this from Admins who have used it in their forums has been positive.

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see that as an option. It's an incentive for sellers, as well as to help buyers in deciding who to deal with. I see it more and more as I visit different forums.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sounds good to me ! GTS / Hig / BMiller / CBRBear have all steered me in the right direction so I would like to be able to post date feedback !

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I think it is a good idea. The problem is how do you keep people from just giving others bad feedback without any actual transaction taking place, and what do you do in a situation like what just happened? The moderators will have to take a side and pick who was in the wrong. I guess there would have to be some guidelines. All around it is a good idea and helps out long time members who have bought/sold a lot over the years. It also gives confidence to new members who may not know who they are buying from.

Honestly, I think the classifieds rules here are a little too relaxed. The hands-off approach sounds good, but as the forum grows and there is more and more going through the classifieds section, it needs some oversight. Several other forums have some basic rules that tend to keep things on the up and up and reduce the number of incidents. A few suggestions:

A minimum post count required to keep people from just posting up items for sale. This ensures that we don't get the guy who posts up and then leaves, or the guy who posts everything they have for sale on every forum they can find, regardless of wether or not it is relevant.

Required closing/deletion of threads after a certain amount of time. Reduces clutter and ten "is this still for sale?" posts for the next year after the seller has moved on.

A hand written sign with the screen name of the seller and the date in all of the pictures.

If it is a bike, then high-res pictures of both sides, front and back, and clocks to show mileage.

Any other items require at least one picture. Preferably one showing all sides of the item.

All damage disclosed and photographed.

All items must have a price listed. No bidding, take that to ebay.

No "dibs", either you and the seller have agreed to conduct business or you haven't.

No "feeler" threads, either it is for sale or it isn't. I actually like the option of feeler threads, as that is how I was able to decide to sell off a bunch of stuff. I wouldn't have done it unless I had enough interest in everything. I've even seen some forums with sections in the classifieds just for feelers, but that would probably be overkill here.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
I think it is a good idea. The problem is how do you keep people from just giving others bad feedback without any actual transaction taking place, and what do you do in a situation like what just happened? The moderators will have to take a side and pick who was in the wrong. I guess there would have to be some guidelines. All around it is a good idea and helps out long time members who have bought/sold a lot over the years. It also gives confidence to new members who may not know who they are buying from.

Honestly, I think the classifieds rules here are a little too relaxed. The hands-off approach sounds good, but as the forum grows and there is more and more going through the classifieds section, it needs some oversight. Several other forums have some basic rules that tend to keep things on the up and up and reduce the number of incidents. A few suggestions:

A minimum post count required to keep people from just posting up items for sale. This ensures that we don't get the guy who posts up and then leaves, or the guy who posts everything they have for sale on every forum they can find, regardless of wether or not it is relevant.

Required closing/deletion of threads after a certain amount of time. Reduces clutter and ten "is this still for sale?" posts for the next year after the seller has moved on.

A hand written sign with the screen name of the seller and the date in all of the pictures.

If it is a bike, then high-res pictures of both sides, front and back, and clocks to show mileage.

Any other items require at least one picture. Preferably one showing all sides of the item.

All damage disclosed and photographed.

All items must have a price listed. No bidding, take that to ebay.

No "dibs", either you and the seller have agreed to conduct business or you haven't.

No "feeler" threads, either it is for sale or it isn't. I actually like the option of feeler threads, as that is how I was able to decide to sell off a bunch of stuff. I wouldn't have done it unless I had enough interest in everything.
i agree, good ideas here. actually might be better then Seller ratings. I think Feeler threads are ok. I usually start out that way, it helps gauge interest and most of the time it ends up selling fairly quick.

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
I don't see that as an option. It's an incentive for sellers, as well as to help buyers in deciding who to deal with. I see it more and more as I visit different forums.
How will seller ratings keep out the scammers?

IMO, the "only" people that should be allowed to post a 4-sale or a WTB post should be the ones supporting the site. Unless you are a Premium or Lifetime supporter, you should not be allowed to sell anything here.......go to craigslist if you don't like it.

BTW YtseJam....having an open classified section is just screaming to the assclowns out there to come here and scam members.

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You brought up some good points...

I think it is a good idea. The problem is how do you keep people from just giving others bad feedback without any actual transaction taking place, and what do you do in a situation like what just happened?

The same thing is happening now with accusations flying back and forth regarding sales gone bad. To be honest, most forums have a buy at your own risk policy. If you were to have an issue, too bad. Not agreeing with it...just the way it is. By the time you find the scammer and ban them, the damage is done. A zero tolerance policy could be instituted for false feedback. As a result of recent incidents, some have been banned from selling all together.

Honestly, I think the classifieds rules here are a little too relaxed. The hands-off approach sounds good, but as the forum grows and there is more and more going through the classifieds section, it needs some oversight. Several other forums have some basic rules that tend to keep things on the up and up and reduce the number of incidents.
I have already spent more time that I should have resolving these type of issues. The main purpose of this board isn't to sell stuff. Modifying the rules regarding classifieds is past due, I've been working on it and need to wait if we begin this so the updated rules would apply. Some of the issues have come from buyers who jump the gun and assume that they're going to get screwed no matter what, not all...but enough so that this type of system would work for sellers who may not ship quite as fast as some expect, that way the potential buyer know from the outset that if they need an item the next day...probably need to look elsewhere. If the staff decides to micro-manage every dispute, then in a way we assume a limited liability for all transactions that go bad. If we knew of a seller, and didn't do something about it, then it's our fault...despite the fact that we do our best. Even some veteran members have caused problems and skipped on deals. We do everything we can to safeguard members, but as I have said earlier..the buyer can help buy using PayPal, etc.

I have also thought about minimum post counts and may actually institute that regardless.

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
How will seller ratings keep out the scammers?

IMO, the "only" people that should be allowed to post a 4-sale or a WTB post should be the ones supporting the site. Unless you are a Premium or Lifetime supporter, you should not be allowed to sell anything here.......go to craigslist if you don't like it.

BTW YtseJam....having an open classified section is just screaming to the assclowns out there to come here and scam members.

I don't think that all members should suffer for the actions of a few. The actual percentage of sales that go wrong is very small. This board has had open classifieds from the beginning, I don't see a huge amount of scams. I also don't think that in order to sell you are required to be a member. The only restriction I have seen is post count, which I'm absolutely in favor of. I am uncomfortable mandating members spend money to post on a community forum such as this. Requiring a minimum post count would help weed out those who just hit and run.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I see your point. I'm not saying you guys are currently, or were ever doing a bad job. I just think the site has grown (mostly in the last year or so) to a point where some oversight is needed. Which is what you are looking into.

I'm not necessarily talking about micro managing each item or feedback, (I think disputes would probably be few and far between when it comes to things like seller ratings)

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see your point. I'm not saying you guys are currently, or were ever doing a bad job. I just think the site has grown (mostly in the last year or so) to a point where some oversight is needed. Which is what you are looking into.

I'm not necessarily talking about micro managing each item or feedback, (I think disputes would probably be few and far between when it comes to things like seller ratings)
Not taking it that way...sorry if you got that idea.:D If it wasn't for all of you, this forum wouldn't be here. All were trying to do is make it the best we can and hopefully reduce some problems that go along with growing pains. And I agree with your point about seller ratings. It could be a way to "help" manage the classifieds by eliminating sellers who have no business selling...by hearing from members experiences with them.

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
I don't think that all members should suffer for the actions of a few. The actual percentage of sales that go wrong is very small. This board has had open classifieds from the beginning, I don't see a huge amount of scams. I also don't think that in order to sell you are required to be a member. The only restriction I have seen is post count, which I'm absolutely in favor of. I am uncomfortable mandating members spend money to post on a community forum such as this.
If I wanted to sell something here and a post count was needed, it would take me a few min to respond to various posts in order to hit that requirement.

Post count's do not work.

The only way to really keep the sellers legitimate is to make them support the site they want to sell stuff on. $40 gives you a lifetime membership for selling stuff here...$15 gives you a year.

Is that really asking too much?

njracer

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I wanted to sell something here and a post count was needed, it would take me a few min to respond to various posts in order to hit that requirement.

Post count's do not work.
If your looking for something that is fool proof, I don't have it. I have read that the counts help....we can offer that.

The only way to really keep the sellers legitimate is to make them support the site they want to sell stuff on. $40 gives you a lifetime membership for selling stuff here...$15 gives you a year.

njracer
So a member pays $15 and decides to list a $500 set of wheels, then walks. That's a $485 profit....then what? Just playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm liking a lot of the ideas here especially the ones meant to clearly spell out the rules in selling on this forum. Maybe there can be pre-requisites that must be met in order to sell such as buying a membership or if a seller does not want to purchase the membership or for whatever other reasons, we could implement a post count along with a requirement to have been an active member for 1 year maybe.

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
. Maybe there can be pre-requisites that must be met in order to sell such as buying a membership or if a seller does not want to purchase the membership or for whatever other reasons, we could implement a post count along with a requirement to have been an active member for 1 year maybe.
That could be a good compromise, if you don't have a membership...a minimum post count would be required. Everybody keep in mind that whatever we come up with won't replace buyers being head's up as well, just as important.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts