RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping this issue was over, but unfortunately its not.
Its very odd behaviour, maybe you guys might have seen this before.

Turn the bike on, leave it running.. after a few minutes (on kick stand), the temerature will eventually reach 220, fan clicks on.. temperature drops back to 210, fan turns off. everything seems normal.

However, went for a ride today, hit 220 while riding.. i cant tell if the fan clicks on as i have my helmet on. Temperature slowly creeps up to point of over heating???

taking it back to the shop. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
From draining and refilling the coolant system without burping, or without burping enough. It's discussed in the service manual.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I've burbed my cooling system 3 or 4 times now. It's very easy.
I've posted in detail about the process is a couple threads.
If you're interested, try the advanced search. Keywords burping coolant. Put jondog9 in the username.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I've burbed my cooling system 3 or 4 times now. It's very easy.
I've posted in detail about the process is a couple threads.
If you're interested, try the advanced search. Keywords burping coolant. Put jondog9 in the username.
I get a couple of guys over for beers and and after the bike is warmed up and with the radiator cap removed we just lean the bike all the way to the right and then all the way to the left and automagically it works every time :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I get a couple of guys over for beers and and after the bike is warmed up and with the radiator cap removed we just lean the bike all the way to the right and then all the way to the left and automagically it works every time :)
Hadn't heard of leaning to the right then back to the left.
Seems like you couldn't go to far to the right without coolant spilling out, especially if the bike is running and over 175F, but I see the logic.
Have you tried just shaking the piss out of the bike? :D

·
Premium Member
736 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the input guys. Ill keep you all posted, its back in the shop. Ive been reading on tons and tons of forums, even car forums. The general consensus for this type of problem seems to be.
1. radiator/cooling system has air in it.
2. coolant is not circulating throught the system.
3. kinked hoses
4. blocked thermostat
5. blocked/broker water pump impeller.
6. blocked or corroded radiators.
7. head gasket.

Mine idles fine though, no smoke at all. What are the symptoms of head gasket?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
thanks for all the input guys. Ill keep you all posted, its back in the shop. Ive been reading on tons and tons of forums, even car forums. The general consensus for this type of problem seems to be.
1. radiator/cooling system has air in it.
2. coolant is not circulating throught the system.
3. kinked hoses
4. blocked thermostat
5. blocked/broker water pump impeller.
6. blocked or corroded radiators.
7. head gasket.

Mine idles fine though, no smoke at all. What are the symptoms of head gasket?

Headgaskets can be a little tricky because they can leak in more than one way when they get blown out.

If the gasket between the coolant and the combustion chamber goes then it can allow coolant into the exhaust which blows out the tail pipe as steam and at the same time puts exhaust into the coolant which causes more over heating. This can usually be observed when the radiator inexplicably starts to lose water. Another easy test is when the radiator is full and the engine temp is hot enough to allow the thermostat to stay open you can rev the bike quickly and the exhaust will push the coolant out of the radiator fill like a small geyser instead of sucking the fluid down into the radiator like it normally does. This can also lead to a cylinder getting filled with water and hydrolocking which is pretty much guaranteed to fuck up something permanently with the quickness.

Sometimes the gasket blows between the coolant and the oil allowing the two to mix turning your oil pan into a milky looking mess.

Sometimes both types of failures happen

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Ya know, i had a similar issue with my 954 and all it took was a new radiator cap...

...give that a whirl yet?!?

·
Registered
185 Posts
How fast were you going? If your averaging 30mph the fans can counteract the air flow and result in high temps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you know, ive seen that on aa few boards.. its cheap enough.. il try a new radiator cap for the hell of it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Easy way to tell if fans are working if you cant tell with your helmet on is to leave the bike in gear and drop the side stand down. It will kill the bike but the power will stay on and if the fans are running at that point you will hear them. Here in texas if the temp is over 90 I have to be running 60+ mph to keep her cooled. I had the same issue so I put in engine ice and try to stay off slower city roads as much as I can. let me know what the shop says

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Easy way to tell if fans are working if you cant tell with your helmet on is to leave the bike in gear and drop the side stand down. It will kill the bike but the power will stay on and if the fans are running at that point you will hear them. Here in texas if the temp is over 90 I have to be running 60+ mph to keep her cooled. I had the same issue so I put in engine ice and try to stay off slower city roads as much as I can. let me know what the shop says
will keep you posted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im just grasping at straws here. Curious what you guys think. The bikes pipes, from headers.. all the way back to muffler are wrapped in exhaust wrap? Could this contribu8te to overheating? or does it help cool down? or no effect.. leave it alone?

·
Registered
81 Posts
im just grasping at straws here. Curious what you guys think. The bikes pipes, from headers.. all the way back to muffler are wrapped in exhaust wrap? Could this contribu8te to overheating? or does it help cool down? or no effect.. leave it alone?
I don't honk header wrap will effect cooling as you described. My racecar headers are wrapped and it decreases engine heat tremendously.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts