RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been riding my bike alot here lately and I have been noticeing some reallly high temps. 60 MPH is around 185. But around town with lights and lower speeds im getting into 220 and even 230 at the highest point. Was seriously thinking about adding engine ice to the coolant . i run it in my Nova and works well. Not sure about my bike though. Or would I be better off looking for some after market HIGH FLOW fans? ANy suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
My bike had a puncture in the left radiator tank courtesy of the previous owner.
He had sealed with JB Weld, but it didn't hold, so it started leaking coolant slowly.
So my bike temps started gradually rising, until one summer they reached 240 Deg F. while traveling down the freeway.
So when I had the bike down for a refurb, I removed the radiators and had the left radiator repaired by a shop that does aluminum radiator fabrication/repair.
I then made sure all hose clamps were nice and tight (esp. the left radiator clamp which is know to loosen) and filled the system with Engine Ice pre-mix.
I also noticed that my left fan bearings were starting to squeak, so I also replaced both radiator fans.
Now when I'm cruising down the freeway, the temps average around 182 Deg F. (or less in the spring and fall) and in town, around 207-210 Deg F. while moving and no more than 229 Deg F. at most.

·
Registered
6 Posts
over heating

I live in Texas and I have overheating problems. I have added ICE radiator fluid had to buy 2 gallons cause 1 wont do it. I noticed some difference it runs at 220-230 at cruising temps. I then added some lucas oil to my bike and it helped at cruising it is running at 210-220 and at higher speeds it maintains at 190-200. It made a difference, but if I get stuck in hard traffic and a hotttttt day the temps get back up there moral of the story is RC51s don't like slow.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live in Tx also, my bike in town runs about 220-230. Hwy around 180-190. I think that temp is the norm for these monsters.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
And because of past temp problems, I also run with my gauge panel selected to view temps.
The upper temp limit is 251 Deg F.
If you see your temp indicator start flashing, it's at 251 Deg F. and you need to pull over as quick as possible and cool her down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input fellas. Those are all right around the temps Im getting. 180 -190 cruize and 215-230 hot and in town. Im gona lookinto remolding the air flow threw that section.Im pretty good with glass so if i can inprove the air flow that should help too.

As far as oil goes... I was going to upgrade my engine oil anyways. Still tossing that around AMS or Lucas lol. Even heard some good stuff about royal purple but sill researching that so ill let you al know what i find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rc51.org has tips in the mod sectionand cooling forum on how to reduce your temperatures, something about removing a fan makes it run cooler.. look into it.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
rc51.org has tips in the mod sectionand cooling forum on how to reduce your temperatures, something about removing a fan makes it run cooler.. look into it.
The SP1's only had one fan, they installed two on the SP2's for additional cooling.
The only reason to remove a fan is if the bike is used for racing and gets enough airflow while at speed.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
As an FYI. Be sure and use deionized water in your cooling system.
Do not use tap water. It usually has a bunch of dissolved minerals that will clog your radiators over time.
Distilled water is second best, but it even as trace amounts of minerals as well.
Deionized water is 100% pure.
One convenient reason I went with Engine Ice for the street is that you can buy it premixed with deionized water.

·
Registered
26 Posts
for in town i put a switch to manually turn it on while in town at the stop light and such but found it cools better with it off while cruzing around at highwayspeeds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool thanks yeah I bought the premixed stuff deionized . gonna put it in when i do my brake rotors

·
Registered
24 Posts
My in winter/spring normal cruse temperature is 76C, in the summer normal temperature is 82C, max temperature is 104C.

I have just change the radiator liquid, put the Pro Honda HP Coolant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts