RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the pair and flapper mod last sat. Not a bad mod to do. Would rec to anyone that hasnt done it to do so! I love the intake noise! While I was doing the mods I performed an injector flush and cleaned the T-Bodies. Throttle response was improved after doing the cleaning.
Another thing I would like to ask is, shouldnt the RC in stock form pull the front wheel up in 1st under power? For some reason mine has a hard time doing so. I dont know if it traction loss, or clutch slipping.... Any I deas guys/gals?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If you're using stock final gearing (16/40), it's probably geared so tall that it might not be able to.
I'm using 15/41 and had no problem lifting the front wheel under power in 2nd gear without intending.
And I wasn't intending to since I was partially leaned over while passing a car in a left hander.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
removed it all! I would say with all the flapper stuff and pair junk, (i removed the foam crap around the outside of the air box) I would say close to abount 2-2.5 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
removed it all! I would say with all the flapper stuff and pair junk, (i removed the foam crap around the outside of the air box) I would say close to abount 2-2.5 lbs.
Thanks for the weight info.
Mine already had the flapper components removed, so I never was able to weight it.
I've been trying to keep records of component weights when I remove or inspect items.
One day I'm going to obtain an all wet weight for my bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I have a 530 chain/sprockets.
I don't race it and the weight (4 Lbs of chain) doesn't bother me.

My thought on that was the 530 is a wider chain and the load is spread over a slightly larger area than a 525 or 520.
That way, it might allow more life out of the aluminum rear sprocket.
And I went with a hard anodized rear sprocket for even more durability.

You can use a 520 or 525 chain/sprockets.
The 525 chains are very good these days and are now standard equipment on the '09 GSXR1000's, or so I've heard (but not verified).

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
According to the service manual, the SP2 ('02-'06) with stock sprockets (16/40) uses a chain with 106 links.

I'm guessing it should work as you're going down 1T in front and up 1T in back.
When I ordered my chain, it only came as 120 links.
The shop then cut it to fit.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Mine was an RK X-ring variant and it only came in 120 links.
Some do come in 106, so check if so before you order.

DID's are very good chains.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts