RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang, I got a quote from a shop last night to do the PAIR and Flapper mod for me. They quoted 6 - 8 hours or roughly $600 - $700. that seems high to me ?? Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rob, I checked the guide, but am not that mechanically inclined nor do I have a garage with the necessary tools

·
Registered
158 Posts
man its easy bro.. just print the guide and youl be fine with some basics. go to pepboys and get some tools.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi James, my use is mainly commute to work and some fun riding around town.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Raleigh,

Take a look at this link, it's basically a copy of the same link and do-it-yourself-instructions from the org site, only with better photos, and dumbed down instructions. You really don't need any special tools to do the job, and really, considering the amount of time needed you can do it on a patio or something without any real concern about having to leave the job half finished and your bike outside. Both mods you mentioned can be finished in a morning, and worst case the afternoon too. We'll get you through it mate!!

http://www.motophotos.com/rc51online/Mods/Mods Page.html

Buy a set of these:

http://store.scottsms.com/Kyle-Racing-RC51-smog-block-off-plates-0284.htm

or if time permits use JB weld or the like to seal off the PARE check valve cover. I used the JB weld, and actually my wife did it.

Honestly, you'll be so proud of the fact you did it yourself, not only do you gain a little more knowledge of your bikes inner workings, but you'll save a bunch of $$$ that you can put towards a good socket set and wrench set (stubby and standard lengths).

The tools you'll need. (This is for virtually every job on the bike btw, you don't need all this for these mods. You can almost get by with just a philips screwdriver and a 8mm and 10mm socket)

Our bikes use metric tools (mm). You'll laugh at how often you pull out the 8mm, and 10mm tools. Get a socket set, don't get the cheapest set, but you definitely don't need Snap-on quality (but it is nice, but expensive :)) Get some extensions (2" and a 4") for your 1/4" and 3/8" socket and these sockets: 20mm, 22mm, 24mm, 27mm, and 32mm. Get yourself two sets of wrenches, a standard and stubby set. Get yourself a good multi bit screw driver (Picquick Screwdirver's are cheap and good), I like the ratcheting Snap on versions, but you'd don't need to waste money on that unless you like it. Grab a cheap set of metric allen keys. Total cost for a basic tool set up to do almost every job on the bike, $250 bucks, and with this site you can get the help you need if you get stumped.

Now of course, you don't need the stubby set right away, so that can wait. The additional sockets aren't needed for the two mods you mentioned either. Everything I mentioned, with a torque wrench will do pretty well every basic job on your bike, from removing the back tire to dropping your engine.

Don't let the stealers (dealerships) have all the fun. Go grab some tools, and we'll be here when you get back to do the mods.

Good luck!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hi James, my use is mainly commute to work and some fun riding around town.
Hey,
Same here.

I grew up around cars and turn'n wrenches...so these mods were like tie'n my a* track boots :p
But for what we use our bikes for you wouldnt be able to tell much of a differnce from pre-mod to post-mod. But either way I would recommend atleast pulling out the flapper vavle from the snorkle. For that all you would need is a phillips screwdriver and a 5mm allen. All you would need to do is pull off the upper, the snorkle screen (4screws) and the screw that holds the flapper pivot rod. Really the hardest part of doing this is getting the wiring harness back in place after getting the upper back on.

No weight savings but the RC will be able to breath better.

Just take your time and double check everything before you move on to the next step. Trust me after your done you'll think "Wow, I was going to pay someone to do that"

But if you get stuck, ya know where to go.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts