RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be screwed up ( F.O. in advance Embee) but reading the service manual I am a little confused. On the pair solenoid does it open to allow exhaust gas flow when the solenoid is powered by the battery or closed. My 07 VFR manual reads about the opposite of the RC51.

I was thinking about just disconnecting the solenoid and attached a blocked off connector to both ends to protect them and see how it runs with my PW deactivated. I don't want to dig into the bike to unconnect the electrical connections if it will put in 100% activation by unplugging it. (I don't feel like tearing everything related to the PAIR off the bike just deactivate it)

Thanks in adavance...

Nick

Reactions: MakisRC51

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
The PAIR solenoid is opened to allow air to enter the exhaust ports to burn excess fuel in the exhaust pipes.
That's why you get popping on deceleration.
The extra air leans out the AFR inside the exhaust pipes causing the mix to combust.
It's also why you have to block or disable the PAIR system to get an accurate reading during a mapping run on the dyno.
Disconnecting the PAIR solenoid prevents the solenoid from opening the PAIR valve.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I did not get any popping on decal when I added my Ladybird pipes so I figured it wasn't working or disabled. I was gonna disconnect the solenoid to make sure. Probably why my dyno run has 15% added throttle at 0% throttle opening. My dumbass..

·
Registered
469 Posts
(I don't feel like tearing everything related to the PAIR off the bike just deactivate it)

Thanks in adavance...

Nick
why not? it takes all of 5-10 minutes, and it cleans up around the engine, not to mention the weight savings! :p

it truly is useless emission crap.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After an opening and closing like this....I decline to follow up.:
You're getting soft if you passed on an easy setup like that one. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Make sure you clear the PAIR ports on the valve cover off their reed valves inside.
Due to the PAIR removal or deactivation mode, air stops to flow and the reed valves fill up with chunks of, coal like, depositions and that builds down the pipe that leads near the exhaust valves and gets really messy eventually.

Just a thought.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts