RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my black 05' a few weeks ago... ROCKS! It's got the PAIR removed, flapper mod, etc. Leo Vince pipes with a power commander and been dyno tuned. The body is completely stock. Stock HUGE undertail, turnsignals, etc. Mint condition.
On my bike there is a rubber gasket that seals between the passenger seat/cover and the tail section. Sort of like weather stripping to seal the tail. When I was looking through the gallery I noticed that I don't see a single other bike with one. Is it something that just gets thrown away because it useless or ugly? Or am I the only one?

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
When I replaced my bodywork a few years ago (previous owner damage), I also ordered the rear cowl panel seal.
Frankly, it's such crappy piece of foam rubber, it wouldn't last long at all and disintegrate.

What I found was some 1/4" 3M interior weatherstripping tape at a hardware store.
It's made of much better foam material and is self-sticking.

You can buy a 30' roll of this stuff for around $4.
The 1/4" width is just about the width of the lip on the rear cowl, so no trimming is needed.
It's been on my bike for 3 years and still going. And it seals well.
It also keeps the panel from rattling around and provides enough resistance to keep the panel secured to the latch.
It's worked so well, I've lost the roll it came off of.

·
Registered
428 Posts
my 06 has a back rubber gasket around the opening on the tail, nothing on the cover it self unlike the 2000 i had. but you would think that the 05 and 06 would be the same? but it's still a pos flimsy thing that you have to fix all the time so i tried using weather strip adhesive to keep it in place, it failed.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
my 06 has a back rubber gasket around the opening on the tail, nothing on the cover it self unlike the 2000 i had. but you would think that the 05 and 06 would be the same? but it's still a pos flimsy thing that you have to fix all the time so i tried using weather strip adhesive to keep it in place, it failed.:mad:
where did you get the gasket, i like!

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Never having had a rear seat, I was unawares of the rubber seal used for the rear seat.
For the rear cowl panel, they show the seal used, pn 77223-MCF-300.
That piece of foam rubber is not worth the money.
The rubber seal for the rear seat seems much better.
I may order one for use with my cowl panel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, the piece I was referring to was #5 in the picture. It does it's job fine with the "panel" installed instead of the seat, but tends to bunch up after a while... needing smoothing. Sticks out a bit. I don't have the #9, I wonder if the bike was shipped new with two gaskets??? I never put the seat on so maybe I'll order the #9.

·
Registered
6 Posts
#5 only goes on with the seat to protect the tail section. It's removed when you put the cowl cover on. #9 is a thin foam strip that should already be stuck on your cowl cover.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#5 only goes on with the seat to protect the tail section. It's removed when you put the cowl cover on. #9 is a thin foam strip that should already be stuck on your cowl cover.
Not on mine. Just the #5. Previous owners preference, I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Never having had a rear seat, I was unawares of the rubber seal used for the rear seat.
For the rear cowl panel, they show the seal used, pn 77223-MCF-300.
That piece of foam rubber is not worth the money.
The rubber seal for the rear seat seems much better.
I may order one for use with my cowl panel.
They are both to be used together. Thr main rubber seal is better, it keep the vibration down and won't wear the paint...the previous owner of my bike failed to see the benefit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you use the rubber seal with the cowl cover it will over hang all the way around about a 1/2". I personally don't see how the cowl would even click into place with the rubber seal in place. It's pretty thick. With or without any kind of seal, the cowl rides in a recession all the way around the hole so the only thing the thin foam strip does is keeps the cowl cover from rattling around. Whereas the passenger seat actually rides up and overlaps the tailsection so without the rubber seal you may chafe the finish on top of the tailsection. My $.02.

They are both to be used together. Thr main rubber seal is better, it keep the vibration down and won't wear the paint...the previous owner of my bike failed to see the benefit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you use the rubber seal with the cowl cover it will over hang all the way around about a 1/2". I personally don't see how the cowl would even click into place with the rubber seal in place. It's pretty thick. With or without any kind of seal, the cowl rides in a recession all the way around the hole so the only thing the thin foam strip does is keeps the cowl cover from rattling around. Whereas the passenger seat actually rides up and overlaps the tailsection so without the rubber seal you may chafe the finish on top of the tailsection. My $.02.
flip it around ;) and it works great with just the solo cover without the foam..... see pic in my last post

·
Registered
149 Posts
As long as we are on the topic of seats and cowls, anyone add a spring to "pop up" the cowl opening or seat to make it easy to remove? I installed a 1" piece of suspension spring off an HPI RC monster truck, it works great, no more prying, it lifts it about 1/2" above the cowl when you hit the release. I will take a picture later.

John

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Mine already pops up a couple mm anyway, but nice mod if you need it. RC parts on a RC....who would have thunk it?:D

·
Registered
609 Posts
I found a spring such as this in my kids toy box at the weekend. Didn't know what it was for so I threw it out. Now I wish I had kept the bloody thing. Christ on a bike.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i had it on my 2002 when i got it new back in the day , my 03 now dont have it , owell makes it lighter :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts