RC51 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have installed a PCIII(USB) on my bike, a few weeks ago while riding, all of a sudden the bike loses power. Towed it to my mechanic and he told me the CDI was damaged as there was no signal/current powering the plugs. Bought a new CDI, things fired up back to normal, but today when my mechanic warmed up the bike, he told me there was a pop sound before the bike went dead again. He told me its the same problem and I have to fork out $$$ again to replace the CDI. He checked all wirings and could only guess that the problem was the PCIII was causing the failure of the CDI.

Is there a problem with a yr 2000 model RC51 fitted with a PCIII usb installed?. I have not swopped to the old PCII yet. It was running fine with the PCII.

Can anyone give your opinion on this issue?

Picture of CDI is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Something rotten in Denmark dude, I just upgraded my Power Commander from the original serial port model to the PC3 USB model on my 2000 RC and have had no problems. Did you check all of the connections?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have my mech check on the wirings again tmr morning... i shot an email to Power Commander... I got this reply:-
First, the 105-411 and 114-411 are the same unit so that is not an issue. You mentioned that “CDI was damaged as there was no signal/current powering the plugs”. The Power Commander does NOT do anything with the coils or spark plugs so it could not have caused the issue. The power Commander only goes in-line of the injector signal. In all the years of doing this I have not seen an ECU go bad unless there is a serious wiring problem in the bike.

If you have any other questions please let us know.
Unquote...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did you install the PC yourself or have someone else install the unit? How was the RC running prior to the PC install? I would definetly recheck your PC connections and also recheck all other connections, unplug and re-plug all connections. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was running fine with the PCII and when my mech installed PCIII it was running even better... was having so much fun when all this happen...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts