RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Know I Know it's like talking religion or politics but wanted to start a tire thread anyway...

Anyone out there use the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct?? What do you think? What kind of tread life is expected?? Will be buying tires soon and thinking of going with these...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I think there might be a review on these here in other threads. If you're thinking about getting them now the idea is already set in your mind that you'll get them. What else are you really trying to compare them with? As with any tire that I've read about, they all seam pretty good or good enough for the job. I typically go for more of a sport touring tire but I'm also a Bridgestone fan so can't help you there. Sorry for any irrelevant info. I was just wondering if there was another tire that interest you?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I got 8000kms out of a set, sticky and instilled a lot of confidence. I would run them again but I came across a set of Q2's really cheap so I'm gonna run them this season.

I wouldn't hesitate...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
They are a great tire. I have run dozens of sportbike tires and these are towards the top of the list. Hard to go wrong with pilots. The 2cts wear a bit faster than the regular pilots but have a slight traction advantage.

They worked for me:

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Do a search on Bridgestone - this has been discussed before. Then decide, but there's no bad choice as such. Just alternatives.

·
Registered
264 Posts
2CTs work just fine. I use a 2CT front with Pilot Road 2 rear and I'm getting a ton of mileage, but with a little extra grip up front. This combo also wears out at about the same mileage - around 7-8000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
2CTs work just fine. I use a 2CT front with Pilot Road 2 rear and I'm getting a ton of mileage, but with a little extra grip up front. This combo also wears out at about the same mileage - around 7-8000 miles.
I ran this same set up with about the same milage.

James

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Noticeable difference either way between the 2ct and the road 2??

Not ever ridden with the 2CTs, but have an FZ1 I've been running Road 2's on and I gotta say, they get huge mileage out of the tires.

The last set I got 13,000 miles out of the front, and 9000 miles on the rear.
And that was with "spirited" riding (i.e. no touring pace).
I've had the bike for two years with 258 miles when I bought it.
It now is pushing 26,000 miles and am only on the 2nd set of Road 2's.
The Road 3's are super good in the wet, although more expensive than the Road 2's.

Now you can't expect equivalent handling performance between Road 2/3's and 2CT's.
But I have friends who've done track days on Road 2's with no problem.

I myself currently run Dunlop Q2's on my RC51, but if mileage is a priority, I'd consider Road 2/3's, or equivalent tires from Dunlop, Continental, etc.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
They are a great tire. I have run dozens of sportbike tires and these are towards the top of the list. Hard to go wrong with pilots. The 2cts wear a bit faster than the regular pilots but have a slight traction advantage.

They worked for me:
Now thats Purrty!!!:eek::D

·
Registered
863 Posts

They worked for me:
You need to put some air in that tire :D

I'm a die hard Bridgestone fan and dont have any experience with 2ct's. My 51 currently has regular PP's on it now because when I got it it had a brand new rear PP on it and it was cheaper to put a front tire on it instead of swapping for new Bstones. They seem to be fine on the street then again I dont ride mine to hard on the street so just about any tire would work for me.

If you are interested in trying other tires check out the Q2's or new Bstone S20's. I've had good experiences with the Q2s on the street but at the track they suck, for me anyways. I guess it all depends how aggressive you are on the street. If you ride moderately and commute then the Micheline Road tires will get you a lot of mileage. If you're more aggressive and really rip it up on the weekends then look into a Q2, 2CT or S20. Any of those will be good if you are going to see some track with it to.

For my track bike though I only run 003's and R10's

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone I ended up getting PP 2ct's front and rear from motorcyclesuperstore.com front was $111 rear was $156 I think, the dealer here in Bloomington wanted $175 front and $230 Rear!!! So I ordered them online they said install is $60 each

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Looks like you saved $14 on the rear, and $4 on the front? Minus taxes on that $60 for each tire of course, so you saved a total of $12.

If you are paying $60 each tire you're paying way too much. Although, they are probably doing it for that much if you bring in a tire you bought off the internet. If you would have bought them there, they may have mounted them for free. Next time tell your local shop that you'd rather they get the profit if they can come down in price.

Basically, they lost out on the tire sale, and now they are going to make $120 off you for the mounting, and still be pissed at you while they are changing your tires (not a good thing).

If I am going to mount a tire myself, I'll buy it online. If I am going to have a shop do it, I don't insult them by buying online.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Thanks everyone I ended up getting PP 2ct's front and rear from motorcyclesuperstore.com front was $111 rear was $156 I think, the dealer here in Bloomington wanted $175 front and $230 Rear!!! So I ordered them online they said install is $60 each

$60 ea!!! Wtf, most shops around here charge 75-90 bucks, if I was you, I'd be searching for another location to do the install. Sounds like your dealer doesn't like deals man.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Having moved a little over a year ago the last time I went to a local bike shop to ask them to fit a new rear tire to a loose wheel - I was quoted somewhere the equivalent of $110 USD!! Having paid roughly a quarter of that where I'd lived before, I laughed politely and told them that was far too expensive, walked out and made the decision I would never return again.
They'd have been better off telling me they didn't fit loose tyres from other sources than quoting a ridiculous price with a straight face. :D

I had my wheel taken elsewhere by a member of staff and the tire fitted for a quarter of the price at another place I knew.
Sometimes when businesses conduct themselves like that it's a warning that it's best not to go there at all, since evidently they'd have no moral issues ripping money off you. But if there's nowhere else reasonably close as an alternative then you have little choice... or learn to change tires yourself.

·
Registered
863 Posts
$120 to mount some tires is highway robbery. You need to go somewhere else.

My local Cyclegear charges $10 per wheel if you buy from them and $30 per wheel if you don't.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you saved $14 on the rear, and $4 on the front? Minus taxes on that $60 for each tire of course, so you saved a total of $12.

If you are paying $60 each tire you're paying way too much. Although, they are probably doing it for that much if you bring in a tire you bought off the internet. If you would have bought them there, they may have mounted them for free. Next time tell your local shop that you'd rather they get the profit if they can come down in price.

Basically, they lost out on the tire sale, and now they are going to make $120 off you for the mounting, and still be pissed at you while they are changing your tires (not a good thing).

If I am going to mount a tire myself, I'll buy it online. If I am going to have a shop do it, I don't insult them by buying online.
When he gave me their quote he told me those prices plus $60 each for install so there was no such thing as free mounting if I bought them their..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having moved a little over a year ago the last time I went to a local bike shop to ask them to fit a new rear tire to a loose wheel - I was quoted somewhere the equivalent of $110 USD!! Having paid roughly a quarter of that where I'd lived before, I laughed politely and told them that was far too expensive, walked out and made the decision I would never return again.
They'd have been better off telling me they didn't fit loose tyres from other sources than quoting a ridiculous price with a straight face. :D

I had my wheel taken elsewhere by a member of staff and the tire fitted for a quarter of the price at another place I knew.
Sometimes when businesses conduct themselves like that it's a warning that it's best not to go there at all, since evidently they'd have no moral issues ripping money off you. But if there's nowhere else reasonably close as an alternative then you have little choice... or learn to change tires yourself.
Must have looked like an idiot to them when I went in their... Hmm ill have to work on that... The only other shop around here is bout 30 miles north, other than the Harley dealer... So ill give them a call and see what they quote me

1 - 20 of 40 Posts