RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ordered the fiberglass Pit-Eck Fairings off Ebay. The price seemed right: 270+55s&h. They don't come painted, only primered. My buddy is a decent painter, so that's what I was going to do anyway. I will be posting the play by play with these plastics throughout the process. Tonight, when I get home from school, I will post pictures of how they came and possible flaws/merits that I see.

As for my initial impressions, I took them out of the box at the post office, because the box didn't fit in my car. The plastics seemed sturdy. They're not excessively flexible, but flexible enough. They're exceptionally light, as you would expect with fiberglass. The quality seems to be pretty good, in my initial, untested, opinion. However, I've had extensive experience with china plastics in the past.

The upper comes with the mounts for the headlights. However, the lowers don't have the brackets for the lower vee, those will have to be fabricated. Also, the view port for the rear brake reservoir is not there, but there's a spot for it on the tail, and all that's needed is a dremel and a steady hand. Otherwise, all the bolt holes are there, and they seem to be reinforced with extra resin/glass.

That's all I got for now, pics and follow-on posts regarding workability and fitment to come.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, so, having unwrapped all of them, and examined each of them closely and dry fit them off the bike, here's what I got: the primer isn't the greatest, they will have to be sanded and reprimered prior to painting, they forgot to drill out some holes, no big deal, I got a drill, otherwise, they came together fairly nicely. The seem pretty sturdy, they don't flex much but they seem to flex enough to get them where they need to be. The main spots I found that might need reinforcement are on the lower fairings, towards the back, around where the midpipes come out from underneath the bike. Here're some pics I got, I'm going to preemptively apologize for the large picture size, but I wanted good detail.

Sorry for the poor photography, but I'm not a photography major, I'm an engineering major.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
So, I ordered the fiberglass Pit-Eck Fairings off Ebay. The price seemed right: 270+55s&h. They don't come painted, only primered. My buddy is a decent painter, so that's what I was going to do anyway. I will be posting the play by play with these plastics throughout the process. Tonight, when I get home from school, I will post pictures of how they came and possible flaws/merits that I see.

As for my initial impressions, I took them out of the box at the post office, because the box didn't fit in my car. The plastics seemed sturdy. They're not excessively flexible, but flexible enough. They're exceptionally light, as you would expect with fiberglass. The quality seems to be pretty good, in my initial, untested, opinion. However, I've had extensive experience with china plastics in the past.

The upper comes with the mounts for the headlights. However, the lowers don't have the brackets for the lower vee, those will have to be fabricated. Also, the view port for the rear brake reservoir is not there, but there's a spot for it on the tail, and all that's needed is a dremel and a steady hand. Otherwise, all the bolt holes are there, and they seem to be reinforced with extra resin/glass.

That's all I got for now, pics and follow-on posts regarding workability and fitment to come.
ive often wondered about removing the lower vee anyway to get some cooler air in there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so having attempted to install them, they are garbage. I cannot recommend these fairings to anyone. They're cheaply made and fit horribly. I fell victim to the "you get what you pay for"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, they're about the worst ever. Hopefully others can learn from my mistake, though, and stay away from these guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts