RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm looking to benefit from the collective wisdom here. Any thoughts, advice or info would be genuinely appreciated.

In short, I am kicking tires on a 2000 with low miles. I'm aware of some of the differences between the SP1 and SP2 models but given my riding intentions for this bike (mostly street, occasional trackday just for fun) are there any compelling reasons to not purchase an SP1 and only consider SP2s?

Thanks, eh?! :nerd:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The sp2 is a better bike generally. It doesn't have issues with leaking fuel tanks or radiators, and has nicer wheels and swingarm. Perhaps most importantly the sp2 has a ton more exhaust options. If you have an sp1 and want to put on a slip on exhaust, you'll more than likely need to purchase an sp2 header and slip ons for an sp2

This doesn't make the sp1 a bad bike (We will have a storm of sp1 owners in here soon screaming about how the sp1 is more "raw" than the sp2, but what they mean by that is it's poorly tuned from factory, the sp2 has a better ecu)

You won't go wrong with either, but if you can find a nice sp2 it is likely to be more problem-free than its older brother. You'll find that a large number of sp1 owners have put sp2 parts on their bikes.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
The 02 that is for sale on the forum, that you asked if was still for sale, is a great buy !!! Has a lot of expensive parts already on it, and shipping isn't that expensive either. I would imagine you could have it shipped from Oregon to Idaho for around $600

·
Registered
523 Posts
For your intended purpose it will be fine. The money saved versus a SP2 can be invested in upgraded suspension.

If budget doesnot come into play, buy the SP that gives you the most itch...... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts