RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with one of these???

http://www.minipocketrockets.com

Have a CRF50 for my oldest son, and was looking for similar for the youngest, but then I thought about a pocket bike.

Curious about the bikes from the above supplier, or recommendations for another vendor.

Thanks gents.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Not the same as I had about 8 years ago, but similar. Bought for about $500 at a car show...

Anyways, took it for a ride around the block and hated it. Soon afterward something on the engine broke (It was the pull start IIRC) and I gave it to a local car tuner for his son since he had a lathe to be able to make the broken part. Had horrible brakes, suspension was a joke and it just felt really poor quality. It's still sitting as a sort of display in his office now. A mere dust collector - calling it a paperweight would be too much of a compliment. Watch out for this made in China garbage. I think there are decent ones for mini-moto racing, but at $250-$350 these ain't the good stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of figured, which is why I asked...always hesitant and cheaper products.

Will likely stick with my original dirtbike plan...just taken back by the prices here (much more expensive than NC).

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had something similar, great fun when it worked but the novelty wore off pretty fast, I was away most of the time so when I got back it got harder and harder to get her running but again Im not sure what the make was.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought mine through these guys a few years back. I bought the X-7 110 cc. It came to the house on a UPS truck in a box. Everything was put together. I just added some gas, charged the battery and checked the oil and it started right up. I got it back in 2006 and I still have it to this day. Mine is a wheelie monster. It has been through numerous crashes but the parts are easy to get from this site and other pocketbike performance sites. I have taken off some of the plastics and it looks more like a naked bike than the little replica R1 it was when I got it. Here is a video of it in action last year. My brother had already downed 10 beers before he started insisting he could wheelie it. I told him it was not a toy!!! I think every kid in the neighborhood has come by and wanted to ride this thing but I dare not. As you will see, it doesn't take much for these things to get away from you. I always wear the same gear on this bike as I do on my big bike. I had to pretty much make my brother wear a helmet. Anyway Check it out. I still laugh my ass off when I watch it. especially in slow motion. OMG so funny I paid about 530 for mine. It is automatic tranny with electric start. Oh and don't worry about the crash messing it up. its been crashed like that about 100 times. we just order parts and fix it and ride again. That thing is so much fun!!! Top speed on mine is about 35 or 40 but I have heard with a lil tweaking they will get up to 60 or 70. trust me. 35 is way fast enough for me on that little thing. If you wanna know anything else. hit me up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XszxdMso7wQ

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
On the subject of mini bikes, has anyone ridden the new Honda Grom? looks like a blast. Saw a group of guys in full leathers with Groms blasting down the road.....looked fun.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On the subject of mini bikes, has anyone ridden the new Honda Grom? looks like a blast. Saw a group of guys in full leathers with Groms blasting down the road.....looked fun.

Thanks for the video Clutchless...that is awesome. I read that some of the bikes have throttle/speed limiter, can you confirm? Again, this would be for a 4.5yr old (who can pretty much handle the CRF50). Just looking at options for him.

As for the Honda Grom...they do like like alot of fun to put around on. Almost wanted to sell the Ruckus for one...almost.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Don't bother...they are disposable. At the bike shop we had quite a few come in for repair and saw quite a few thrown in the dumpster because we refused to try to fix the pieces of junk.

Buy Japanese...

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No sorry...stick to your original plan, Japanese dirt bike for the little one.

Ah gotcha. Sadly I'm a sucker for my kids...might just buy both :eek:

Going to do more research. Another concern is the carbs and being at altitude, need to confirm jetting requirements.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Saw them at the honda dealer a couple weeks ago, they look sweet! I'd like to ride one as well..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
When we were on the ride around Fuji a few weeks back, we came across two almost indentical Groms being ridden by girls. I slowed to take a look (First time I'd seen them) and gave a thumbs up. I'm sure it's possible to fit larger capacity engines into these too, people do in Greece in their "Papakis" (The classic Honda that looks like a "Duck").

·
Registered
897 Posts
When we were on the ride around Fuji a few weeks back, we came across two almost indentical Groms being ridden by girls. I slowed to take a look (First time I'd seen them) and gave a thumbs up. I'm sure it's possible to fit larger capacity engines into these too, people do in Greece in their "Papakis" (The classic Honda that looks like a "Duck").
When I was in Cyprus scooters were everywhere, my favorite was the "Grand Dink 250" haha

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugh...why can't Honda build a pocket bike. It is kind of reassuring that Clutchless's bike is still running...but so many bad reviews for the top two sites.

So much for having my 4yr old drag his knee in the parking lot :mad:

Is this too much to ask for?
ImageUploadedByMO Free1398652092.881656.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Despite having a bad encounter with the Chinese in the past (and reading so very poor reviews)...I rolled the dice :eek:

Update this thread in a week or so.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck with this one...

Yes I know I know...but had to give it a try...especially after I asked my youngest what kind of bike he wanted, dirt or street, and he said, "I want a bike just like yours papa..."

So I caved :p He will still get a little Honda when I find one, but in the mean time...this is what he is getting.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1398823203.178730.jpg

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Yes I know I know...but had to give it a try...especially after I asked my youngest what kind of bike he wanted, dirt or street, and he said, "I want a bike just like yours papa..."

So I caved :p He will still get a little Honda when I find one, but in the mean time...this is what he is getting.
View attachment 57786
Go easy on the pull starter. I have seen lots of them fail...so it won't start after the first few pulls put in a new plug in don't just keep pulling. 😜

1 - 20 of 68 Posts