RC51 Forums banner

Polarbear's Winter Project '14

15K views 87 replies 15 participants last post by  Burntclutches 
#1 ·
Well its that time of year again, was gonna run the bike till late october, but the rear sprocket was starting to give up the ghost and my daughter starts nursery, so no more using the RC for commuting, so nows the time.

TBH i was due to drop the bike with my mechanic anyway, so he could give the bike a pre MOT so I knew what would need to be done before my MOT in March '15. It would also give me an idea of how much budget I had to play with.

He got back to me and said that my one of my fork seals is leaking and they could both use a strip down and rebuild. Which suits me cos the forks are being sent to Revolution soon for a full on overhaul and upgrade (customized to my weight and riding style). Now that I know what my budget is, heres what I'm gonna be doing over the next 4-5 months:

Already done:
New Michelin R4 front tyre, New chain and sprockets (keeping lower gearing Nicky/Mickey mod), buy side exit tyre valves, Get both wheels refurbished and done in gold, (pics to follow) :)

To do:
Change oil, grease up throttlebody and choke pivots, remove air filter mesh (so can be used for one more year), paint master cylinder bracket, yoke and triple tree in matt black. Check/fix front indicator problem (probably needs electrogrease), unclog radiators (find problem with coolant overflow issue), electrogrease fan and temp sensor (only ones I didnt get last year). Get forks off and sent to revolution, make decision about keeping or loosing head cowel mask, fully clean and de-rust exhaust system and any other parts that need it. Fit new EBC heavy duty clutch plates (already done the springs), Fit new front and rear braided brake hoses.

Probably missing some stuff, but this is enough to keep me going over the next few months (constructive criticisms welcome)

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like good times PB!
Careful on lubing the choke assembly. I over did it, and now my choke slips back in after running about 20 -30 seconds. I usually have to pull it back out or revs get too low while still cold.

Sounds like you're going to get a lot done. Good luck.

#6 ·
thanks guys, I hate the RC being off the road, but love the thought that, while other bikes are still on the road over winter, mines is in a garage, getting tasty upgrades, is being kept away from the winter salt and will emerge an even better bike in march.

Plus me and my bro always have youtube episodes of 'King of Queens' in the background to keep us going through our projects.

Will also keep an eye out for this nut for the choke too. Interesting one that

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks mate.

Got the bike back to the Polarbear workshop. 3 things to do today (with the short time I have.)

1. get the panels and head cowl off. - Done, pics below

2. get the forks off to be sent away for upgrades - done, pics below

3. get the top yoke off for painting - Cannot disconnect ignition from yoke cos dont have a tool to remove the 3 applicable screws (need help, what tool do i need?) - pics below.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
#13 ·
I just used my drill press to take off the heads of the bolts - Then simply unscrewed the threaded shaft left behind. Quite simple really. No special tool, no left handed drill bit.

#18 ·
So, today i drained the coolant from the system and the overflow bottle,trying to solve this problem with the coolant not being recalled fro the overflow bottle, which at times is causing high tempatures. whipped the rads off and connected a garden hose, taking turns on each exit point on both rads. No blockages from what I could see. Or maybe there was a blockage and its gone now.

Either way, I hope to god it aint got anythin to do with the main thermostat under the throttleboddies.

#19 ·
Right,
Just got an email back about my forks, very happy with the email. It reads:

Hi Ben
I have completed your forks today as promised and they are in the hands of UPS scheduled for delivery on Monday by 18.30
Please re-install the forks and set them up as detailed in the attached info sheet. Please take time to do this process as accurately as possible and remember this is a 2 man job. If you are unsure of anything during installation please contact me on 07970 915259 ANYTIME.
I noticed that someone has been inside these forks previously, possibly to change oil seals, causing a small amount of internal damage and burring to the fork top cap. I have repaired the internal damage OK, you will definitely feel a noticeable improvement now that its fixed and twice again from the new upgrades carried out.
Here is some info for your records should you wish to replace oil seals etc in the future without returning the forks to me or sell the bike on to another guy.

SPRING RATE 0.9 kg/mm
OIL GRADE SAE 5
AIR GAP 130mm
SHIM STACK C34 RaceTec “Gold Seal” Compression valves.

Please note that I have set the compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork legs at 10 clicks out. There are 22 clicks in total to it is half way. Once you are riding the bike you may wish to change this harder or softer to suit your riding.

#20 ·
Just ordered a set of Strada7 adjusters for my forks. Might as well since theyll be worth adjusting now.

Question, Ive thought about (as part of when I do my servicing) removing and cleaning the spark plugs then putting them back.

Is this worth doing or am I being too far fetched?

#26 ·
new clutch issue (possibly)

Ok, so ive taken off my clutch plates and am soaking my new ones in oil. just done a comparison when taking the old off and comparing it to the new. The new plates (grey) look a bit different that the old ones (brown), the shape of the grooves/grips looks different and theyre quite flat too. plus the last plate (last pic) in the new pack isnt as thick/wide as the others. just checking everythings normal and that no alarm bells ring with you guys.

Pls let me know either way, cos these will be going on in the next few days to replace the old ones

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
thats right. EBC heavy duty, (whatever that means). Another member on here really helped me out when I first got my RC, a few of you will remember it was in bad shape. He looked over the clutch and said it would be ok for a while. that was feb 2013.

It still dont look too bad, but while Ive got the money, its off road and the BOSS (wife) is allowing the time, Im just gonna get it done.

Should be finishing that part later in the week, then its off to the next part of the project. Fitting the new forks back on. Got some Strada7 adjusters to go with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.