RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird problem today. I had the bike on and then shut it off for a couple of minutes. When I set the key to on the cluster would not turn on. When I disconnect the connector on the right side that goes from the starter switch into the fairing the cluster lights up. When I connect it again, it goes out. When only partially connected and I attempt to start it, there is a click from the tail like something wants to work. Also, the FI light doesn't come on. Any suggestions? I will tear into it tomorrow but it would help to know what to look for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
electrical can go many ways... before you start buying parts, check connections, grounds... etc... likely just something loose, also may be a "pushed" pin in that connector.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I forgot to post that I found the problem on Friday. I went through checking all the connections, start/stop switch, ground, and fuses. My battery is not holding a charge. I tried my friend's battery in the RC just to make sure. Everything fires right up so now I just have to wait until tomorrow to go get one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sigh

Sorry everyone we figured out shonuff's problem,
His bike isn't the only thing firing on only 2 cylinders.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just following standard protocol for those types of problems: yell at it, poke at it with something, then check the connections.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My battery died mid biking trip a few weeks ago. I decided to get a new battery and also perform the rectifier mod which might have been the cause for the battery breaking down. No point fitting a new battery if the rectifier is going to just fry it again.

look at www.roadstercycle.com if you want to see the mod part for this mod.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't know and while it did cross my mind I am hoping it was just a short. What I forgot to mention in the first post is that I had JUST washed the bike before it happened. While poking around I found water in the highbeam relay. It was in the fairing with the exposed side up and water in it. I am thinking that may have somehow caused the original problem with the cluster. The battery was old and while I sometimes take spontaneous trips and leave the alarm on for a quite few days while not hooked up to a battery tender that may have just been aiding to aging. Now that you mention it, I have been meaning to check the stator. Ill try and get that done today and report back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the original problem was the bike is only firing on two of the cylinders. Possibly as a result of a bad clutch pack or maybe two glow plugs were not heating up. Maybe these problems caused his generator to not fully recharge his fuel cell. You should check out that stuff (pause) shonuff....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really don't know and while it did cross my mind I am hoping it was just a short. What I forgot to mention in the first post is that I had JUST washed the bike before it happened. While poking around I found water in the highbeam relay. It was in the fairing with the exposed side up and water in it. I am thinking that may have somehow caused the original problem with the cluster. The battery was old and while I sometimes take spontaneous trips and leave the alarm on for a quite few days while not hooked up to a battery tender that may have just been aiding to aging. Now that you mention it, I have been meaning to check the stator. Ill try and get that done today and report back.
I would double check what comes off the connector, that you disconnected, enabling your cluster to come back on. If you have a "dead short" there, the new battery will only be a temporary fix.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am going to give it a look when I get back to town. The cluster problem only lasted a couple of hours until I pulled the wet relay but I still think I am going to go through to double check. The weather has been great and I would hate to be sidelined again due to something I could have prevented. I did, however, spend the whole next day riding hwy 130. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hwy+130,+mt+hamilton,+ca&hl=en&ll=37.340547,-121.634617&spn=0.078475,0.169086&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.916234,86.572266&t=h&hnear=California+130,+Mt+Hamilton,+Santa+Clara,+California+95140&z=13

·
Registered
11 Posts
blah

The connector in question is the one that goes to the kill switch, the starter switch, and the brake light switch. Its red and sits in the right fairing. How would you check that for shorts? On another note when we had the fairings off there were two wires that the insulation had worn off of and they were rubbing against the rear seat frame. We did fix those incase that was a problem also. And that ride up 130 is nice. I think there were a total of 10 squirrels and 2 rabbits that decided it was a good idea to run out, get six inches from our front wheels, and then jump in a square pattern and head back from where they came. I cant be sure i think one was wearing a suit and looked similar to the all state mayhem guy. Watch for wildlife.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts