RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any objections to powder coating sp1 wheels as they will be baked at +400 degrees? integrity of the rim going to be the same? i’ve powder coated rims from early Zx7’s with no issues in the past.. or maybe just get them painted.. thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mate, powder coat them.
All this talk about integrity of the rim...I sent buy. Look at the thickness of the the things...its standard procedure. I work with aluminium everyday and we powerboat structural window frame members that are a lot thinner.and take alot more load.
The bloke before me had pushed the rims.....and I wasn't big on the look so I powdered mine...and no issues whatsoever. So effectively my rims have been fucked around with twice.
The result is awesome....went for Elctro black....a matt look...I love the rims and love this bike.
See photos...originally purchased and now.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike and thanks for your time i appreciate it. Matte black it is then. Nothing better and more durable than powder coating especially when changing tires etc.. 🤙🏻🤙🏻🤙🏻

·
Registered
8 Posts
any objections to powder coating sp1 wheels as they will be baked at +400 degrees? integrity of the rim going to be the same? i’ve powder coated rims from early Zx7’s with no issues in the past.. or maybe just get them painted.. thanks
Hello.
Does the powder coat require heat as high as 400 degrees Celsius?
I think it's usually below 200 degrees.
The heat can cause casting burrows.

I have one opinion. I don't recommend powder coat.
This is because it is not so strong, it is difficult to match colors during repair (slight touch-up), and the paint is often soluble in solvents.
No matter what you do, the paint will always come off if you change the tires poorly, so I think it is better to emphasize the ease of repair on the premise that it will come off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Powder coat is baked at 350°F to 450°F (184°F to 240°C) and will usually not cause any issues. Cerakote is another alternative, but with both processes the prep is very important to yield good results. Both are more resistant to brake fluid and gasoline than wet paint, which is why it is a good choice for wheels. Mine came out looking very nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Powder coat them and powder coat require heat above 350°F. I powder coat mine 4 years ago and faced no issues so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts