RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If the unit is in great shape, then it'll be much cheaper than a PCIIIUSB.
The unit will be slightly more involved to install as the 'r' also interconnects to your ignition timing connector (the red one).
It can be a bit tight to get to.

I have a PCIIIr on my SP2 and it runs just fine.
The maps do not interchange between the two units. Different file formats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the unit is in great shape, then it'll be much cheaper than a PCIIIUSB.
The unit will be slightly more involved to install as the 'r' also interconnects to your ignition timing connector (the red one).
It can be a bit tight to get to.

I have a PCIIIr on my SP2 and it runs just fine.
The maps do not interchange between the two units. Different file formats.
I have an old PCIIIr as well and am having a rough time finding maps. All I have is Yosh slip ons and everything else is stock. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but maps from the r, usb and even the v are interchangeable, but you have to manually enter the values for each tuning cell.

OP,
On the performance side of PC, I'd say the three of them are all the same, unless you want the ability to get the autotune. Which is only available for the PCV.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I have an old PCIIIr as well and am having a rough time finding maps. All I have is Yosh slip ons and everything else is stock. Any ideas?
The best thing to do is have a custom map made for your configuration and geographic location by a local Dynojet supported shop.
They should have the serial cable used to connect to the PCIII/PCIIIr since they've been around a while.
Then have them save the map file for you on a USB thumbdrive for your safekeeping.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I have a PCIIIr on mine. Works perfectly. I see no reason to change to a newer one at all. Interfacing with a computer these days can be tricky, ideally you or a tuner would need a PC with a serial port.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I'm still running a PC3r too. No problems with performance or reliability. This thing has been beat around for years before I got it and it's been 3+ years for me, not one glitch.
I bought a good quality serial to usb cord with software disc, and it's works fine once you figure out the process to change maps. Not hard to do, there's a few posts on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I as well have the pc3r with no problems. I hear you can leave the red plug undone and it still works like it should

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I as well have the pc3r with no problems. I hear you can leave the red plug undone and it still works like it should
That's true. I ran mine hooked up until I had a ignition pulse gen wire get chaffed and randomly ground against the frame. (got a code 19) It took a minute to find it, and in the process I unhooked the red connector and left it unplugged. Then I remember SubSailor explaining the purpose of the connector is to individually adjust ignition timing for each cylinder. It's a feature that I certainly never used, don't know how many PC3r owners ever did.

Mine's been unhooked for about two years now.
Doesn't have any effect on performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts