RC51 Forums banner

Power Pure OR Q2 For Track Days

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  vfrsam 
#1 ·
I've been using Michelin for 14 track days and have absolutely no complaint about the Pilot Power 2ct I was using on my VTR1000. They were predictable and better than my ability to test a tire to the limit.

The 03 RC51 I picked up last Saturday will be used only on the track. I've read/heard really good reports on the Dunlop Q2. Anyone out in RC land tried both the Q2 and Power Pure? Any recommendations as to Q2 or Power Pure. Oh, I won't consider a tire requiring tire warmers--I'm just not that good/fast, but fast enough for a 66 y/o guy with an artificial right leg.

YTKinWI at http://sportbikeroads.com

#2 ·
I tried both on my CBR. The Power Pure lasted on long time but the Q2 is without question the better handling tire. Night and day difference in my opinion. I like the Q2's so much that I recently had an almost brand new set of regular Pilot Powers removed from the RC51 I bought in November and had them install the Q2's.

#7 ·
That makes me hungry...mmm roasted chicken strips.:D

I believe I will be buying a set of the Q2s this next round. I like my BT-016 tires too but a little variety is okay once in a while.;)

#8 ·
I like the Q2's as well. Pilot Powers last longer, but I believe the difference in confidence is noticeable. Q2's pick up and throw off lots of rubber, so be ready to clean. Pilot Powers are better in the damp or the wet. Both are forgiving and run well without warmers. Knee down by the end of the first lap is not a problem. 30/30 set and forget.

#11 · (Edited)
I've heard nothing but good things about the Q2s on track from guys way faster than me. That was enough convincing - I'll be running a set of Q2s for my first TD on the RC51 next week!

I've run Michelin 2CTs, Pirelli DCIIIs, Bridgestone BT16s and BT-003RSs on a couple different bikes over the years (I like to sample... and I'm cheap - I'd pick up whatever was on the best sale). I've never used tire warmers and I was pretty happy with all of the tires. The best feedback, grip and confidence came from the DCIIIs though for sure. If they still made them and were affordable I'd be running them now. I hope the Q2s will be as good as everybody makes them out to be.

#12 ·
Interesting. Do Q2's have different compounds on the centre for longer tire life like Bridgestone BT016's and BT003's?

Last time around I used BT003's and was very happy with them, decent life for the road and very high grip for track & mountain roads.
If the Q2's are of similar construction I might give them a go next time...?

#13 ·
The Q2s are multi-compound, but I'm not sure how many on the front and rear.

I ran the BT003RS on my R1 and I was pretty happy with them. I only did one trackday on them before selling the bike so I wasn't able to document its longevity. I didn't push them terribly hard either.

Q2s have been the cheapest tire this year so far so I'll be seeing what they can do!

#14 ·
Got to wrangle the RC around VIR South this past Saturday on a virgin set of Q2s. I have to say, I am impressed with the warm-up and grip levels offered by these tires. Although things started cold in the mid-40's, it was at least sunny and the track was dry. I was not running warmers, so the first few laps of the morning sessions were approached with trepidation. I liked the feedback from the front when it started to slip; it allowed me enough time to react and recover. As the day progressed, so did my comfort level with the bike and tires. By the afternoon, I felt pretty comfortable putting the bike almost wherever I wanted with lots of confidence in my grip. I give the Q2s a thumbs up for a mid-pace, intermediate group, trackday rider!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.