RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow RC51 members,

I went out riding yesterday Sunday May 6 with a couple of buddies to Angeles Crest Highway (Newcombs Ranch). It is a 60 mile round trip of pure twisties. This place has seen many accidents and deaths throught the years.

I am 32 years old and have been riding for about 8years. My old high school buddy who has been riding since high school was involved in a major accident on our way back. I was behind him when he attempted to take a turn with his 2011 ducati 1198 SP at approximately 70-80mph. Unfortunately he had major target fixation along with just going to fast.

He ended up going off the cliff and flying about 20-30ft in the air until he fell an additional 40-50ft down the cliff where he landed between a couple of trees. I parked my bike along with several other riders and slid down to where he was. He had a dislocated left leg and fractured pelvis / hip along with other injuries. I He was airlifted by the L.A. county sheriffs Dept and unfortunately the doctors couldnt save his left leg.

This was the most trajic motorcycle accident I have ever seen. Seeing a close friend nearly kill himself was really hard for me to see. I think i'm going to stay away from canyons for awhile. Please have him in your prayers for a speedy recovery. His riding days are over! Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sorry to hear this. We've all lost friends through our love of bikes but I'm glad he made it out alive.

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
It's horrible to go through a wreck like that, but to see it can be pretty devastating. Best to both of you.....

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
That's a tragic shame. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend losing his leg. What a terrible consequence to have to pay for an error of judgement. Yes, of course, a prayer for him and his family...

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
prayers are with him and his family and friends. Sorry to hear this, it is unfortunate to hear. Wish all of you the best.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Unfortunately this is a risk of riding on two wheels...especially when you are an adrenaline junkie. I know the illness well.;)

My prayers are with him and his family. Sorry you had to experience this too.

Take care.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Fellow RC51 members,

This was the most trajic motorcycle accident I have ever seen. Seeing a close friend nearly kill himself was really hard for me to see. I think i'm going to stay away from canyons for awhile. Please have him in your prayers for a speedy recovery. His riding days are over! Thanks
Thoughts and prayers go out to your friend

·
Registered
468 Posts
This is crazy coz last night I had a dream of almost falling off a cliff from a sharp right turn. Very unfortunate, but he is still alive for a reason. What was your friend's name (if you don't mind me asking) so I know who I'm praying for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My friends name is Daniel. I was able to see him in the ICU yesterday. He understood what family and friends were saying. He was pretty drugged up.He had his left leg amputated just above the knee but the doctors will be going a few more inches up. Dr said he will be a great candidate for a prosthetic leg. He has a few more surgeries to his hip/pelvis. He will be getting a couple of screws put in. He has a long road to recovery. This will be a major challenge to him mentally and physically. It's a miracle he is untouched above his waist other than a few minor bruises. According to the Caliifornia Highway patrol the point of impact to where he fell was about 200ft. That is a complete miracle.Thanks again for all the prayers!

Guys always protect yourself with proper gear specially for the canyons.I was wearing full leathers the whole nine. My buddy was wearing a leather jacket, gauntlet gloves , jeans and vans sneakers. It's a real miracle he is alive. Thanks again!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Amen.. even crazier is besides the dream, my name is also Daniel. Dang, that's just weird. Glad he is still alive and definitely keeping Daniel and his family/friends in prayer.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Amen.. even crazier is besides the dream, my name is also Daniel. Dang, that's just weird. Glad he is still alive and definitely keeping Daniel and his family/friends in prayer.
Now THAT is freaking me out too.
You know, we humans are capable of the most bizarre mental connections with others we don't even know. Maybe coincidence, maybe not...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Now THAT is freaking me out too.
You know, we humans are capable of the most bizarre mental connections with others we don't even know. Maybe coincidence, maybe not...
+1.. What's that saying, "humans use only 10% of their brain"? Maybe I use 11%? haha.. :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
We've seen a lot of friends around here seriously hurt in the past year and it will get to ya after a while for sure.
Went to Blood Mountain this past Sat and was in my 1 piece with spine protector and all on and a guy riding a Harley not wearing much said to me at a gas station aren't you hot. I said not too bad but I went over a guard rail not 1 mile from where we were standing and broke my right Talus in half and both laterals in my left arm at my wrist when I was 25. Not being a smart ass but I went on to tell him when it's my time it's my time but I will take every effort to try a prevent as much damage as possible. He just kind of looked at me like I was crazy.

Luckily for me my damage was bad but I didn't loose a limb. I really hate to hear that for your bud. Prayers for him and for his recovery.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry to hear of your friends mishap. And your not alone - I have witnessed too many accidents on the CREST and hate to say it, but most if not all were caused due to the lack of common sense. I don't mean to cruel, but we make our own beds, twist our own throttles. Leave the racing and go fast stuff for the track, check your ego's and ride responsibly. I don't like hearing of these mishaps anymore than the next guy, and I hope this guy makes it through. RUBBER SIDE DOWN fellow riders - and stay safe.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Be sure and tell Daniel that he has lots of support from here, our thoughts and prayers go out to him. While we know deep inside that what we do is dangerous, it's never something that we care to admit openly. Things like this touch us all deeply and serve to remind us of our human frailty. Speed has teeth, we just try not to get bit. Ride safe everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts