RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was bolting my OEM rotors on to my front wheel, I have one bolt hole in the wheel that's apparently stripped. I took the rotor back off and chased all the threads with a die. Cleaned up the bolts with a tap too.
But I still have that one bolt that won't tighten up past a couple lb-ft. of torque.
I mounted the wheel back to the bike, and measured for any run-out of the discs.
The other one is deadnuts straight.
The rotor with the problem bolt hole measures 0.59mm's of run-out.
Using the brace on my Pitbull, I secured my digital caliper, then spun the wheel. It's straight, straight, straight, then takes a tiny dip inwards, then back to straight.

My idea is to fix the bolt hole in the wheel with a helicoil, retighten to spec, then measure for run-out again.

I looked in the service manual for specs on rotor/disc runout, couldn't find any. Did I miss it, or is there even such a spec?

If it's still out after the helicoil fix, will this 1/2 mm of run-out cause me problems?

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Chances are it will cause a parasitic drag on the wheel.

Helicoil should fix the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honda service manual does list a runout spec of .30 mm or .012 inches. It appears that is for both the SP1 and SP2 rotors which are 4.5mm and 5.0mm thick.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I WOULD like to get new rims, but won't have the coin for that for a couple months or so. I've always prefered the SP2 rims over the SP1's.

A time sert, huh? Never heard of that, I'll look into it.
The one time I tried to use a helicoil, I remember having a bit of trouble installing it right.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That kit looks like the cats meow.
But at $150 for the M6x1.00, gunna have to think about that...
Thanks for the link @dansp1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts