RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to assemble an sp2 that can hold its own against the liter bikes of today.

To do this a mixture of weight reduction, increased power and suspension/brakes are the plan.

I would ideally like it to be 180kg wet/140+whp and be composed enough when cornering and on the brakes to do anything I ask of it.

I currently have an sp2 (minus forks, top triple and front brakes) and about half of an sp1. The sp2 is the interesting one. Mods so far are:

- emissions delete
- cf snorkel
- pc3 usb
- sato rear sets
- sato banzai slip ons in Ti (shortened)
- cf fairings
- ohlins shock (need to change spring for my weight)
- dk link
- carrozzeria v-track wheels
- Durbahn cf dummy tank and airbox
- Custom Al underseat fuel tank (replaces subframe as well)
- Wiseco 12.7:1 pistons
- HRC replica front mount rad setup

The plan is to use the forks (need to respring for my weight), brakes and miscellaneous hardware from the sp1 to complete the sp2 and sell everything else:

(low km engine, wiring harness, hindle slip ons for sp2, the cnc machined sp1 triples (if I cant make them work with an sp2 stem), my spare sp2 frame (no swing arm), cluster, fairings (if I can make a deal on a cf set I'm looking at), spare headlights)

These are all pictures that the previous owner took prior to me purchasing it. It is in basically the same state while I get the last of the parts I need for the initial assembly.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And a few shots of the recently purchased cf fairings. I'll be removing the radiator vents as they don't serve a purpose with front mount rads.

I'm open to any and all suggestions on how to reach these goals. Weight is anybody's guess (but certainly less than stock :)), power was 130whp when last checked on a sub-optimal tune and aside from the ohlins shock, the suspension and brakes are stock.

·
Registered
729 Posts
http://www.ti64.co.uk/ this guy will make alloy spindles for wheels and swinging arm.
carbon fibre wheels, alloy nuts and bolts where you can get away with them Ti everywhere else.
Akrapovic full system, modified 2 into 1, cable clutch conversion.
Attention to detail, work through the bike slowly good luck have fun and wave goodbye to your bank balance, (my bike is 175 kg wet with 137 rwhp, taken me 12 years and £££)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
http://www.ti64.co.uk/ this guy will make alloy spindles for wheels and swinging arm.
carbon fibre wheels, alloy nuts and bolts where you can get away with them Ti everywhere else.
Akrapovic full system, modified 2 into 1, cable clutch conversion.
Attention to detail, work through the bike slowly good luck have fun and wave goodbye to your bank balance, (my bike is 175 kg wet with 137 rwhp, taken me 12 years and £££)
That's a great contact, thanks for posting the website. I've been thinking of getting some Titanium spindles made, now I know where to get them. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
All I can say is, to meet your performance expectations, be prepared to spend some serious money.

Exotic, lightweight materials are not cheap.
The largest bang for the buck is to lose weight in large chunks.
When it gets to small items, the cost goes rapidly upward.

Apart from the rider, the engine is the heaviest component (160-165 lbs), and the one that nothing can be done about to lose weight (short of designing your own engine).

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wil no doubt get more expensive from here on in. I'll be interested to see what it weighs when assembled. The Al tank/subframe, cf fairings , Ti slip ons, simplified wiring harness, emissions delete and wheels should net a reasonable decrease. Any bets ?

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
You need to buy ALL of Thorsten Durbahn's product to get to where you want to go, LOL !
Gonna be a lightweight piggy for sure when your all said and done.
Some real nice bits on that bike, will be watching this build for sure.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
I was very tempted by the complete carbon setup you purchased Cam...I was going to put a bid on the while setup. On well...something else always comes up, there is always the Thorsten stuff.:D

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tank is still available if you're so inclined. Would be a sweet piece to have, but didn't make sense for me.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
The tank is still available if you're so inclined. Would be a sweet piece to have, but didn't make sense for me.
Cam can you send me information about the seller. Is it still an ebay auction or is there a way I can contact the seller outside of ebay? Maybe give him a heads up and ask if its ok to give me an email address?

Thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
All good suggestions. Did you document your build?
No build thread i am afraid, Performance Bikes magazine did a small feature on it in the april edition, i have just been out for a 6 hour ride on it, i am definitely not bike fit, feel like i have run a marathon and done a few rounds with Mike Tyson:eek:

·
Registered
729 Posts
All I can say is, to meet your performance expectations, be prepared to spend some serious money.

Exotic, lightweight materials are not cheap.
The largest bang for the buck is to lose weight in large chunks.
When it gets to small items, the cost goes rapidly upward.

Apart from the rider, the engine is the heaviest component (160-165 lbs), and the one that nothing can be done about to lose weight (short of designing your own engine).
You can junk all the silencing gears, turn down the clutch drive gear, fit hyperplates to the clutch (if you can find them) and replace the clutch bolts with Ti, all rotating mass and a useful weight loss.
change all the casing bolts for alloy, it all adds up;)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
BST wheels are going to be one more thing you'll need. At around three and a half to four grand, they aren't cheap, but you save more weight with those in one shot than piece-mealing titanium spindles and engine case bolts, and it might cost the same. You can also go with billet triples, if they are lighter. Ditch the sato rearsets for something simple like woodcrafts. Ditch all of the unnecessary electronics, ditch the key ignition, rewire the whole bike, go to a constant loss system.

You're heading the right direction with what you've done already. It's a cool project, but you are chasing unicorns if you think an RC51 can keep up with a modern liter bike. The full factory racebikes had about the same horsepower as what liter bikes are putting down now. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just don't be surprised when your buddy on a $5,000 2005 ZX10 pulls away from you on the straights after you've just spent $15k trying to keep up.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I wonder how much lighter the BST wheels are than my carrozzeria v-track's? As for never equaling modern liter bike performance, I'm considering some serious power enhancements to address that:)

And that is it. Video was made by the previous owner.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts