RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I got an engine from eBay. 1 of the cylinders has a compression of 145 and the other 146. The valves are fine. The shop say possibly corrosion in the engine. What do you think I should do??? Please help I want my rc51 back and running!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
My motor has a max of 155 psi. If it was me I would remove the heads and install new gaskets and maybe even go as far as to hone the cylinder walls and new rings, if money allowed of course. Easy to work on a motor out of the bike than in that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
I agree, if you have the money i would get it right before putting it in. Doesn't make sense if you're just going to have to pull it in the near future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I don't have the money now. Plus I plan to rebuild my old engine in like 6-8 months. When I'm in less debt.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
If it were carbon, or corrosion on the valves, rings.
An opinion -would be to remove the spark plugs, and the oil drain plug.
Pour Seafoam down the intake runners, on top of the valves, and pistons.
Leave for a time,
Turn over the engine by hand. Use air to blow out the intake Runners.
CHECK compression again .
:)

·
Registered
310 Posts
OK, now I am in a similar position. With only 155psi on my cylinders I am curious if I should hone the block and install new rings? I know motors are made to function with a small % drop in compression but I am not sure about this bike. I rode the bike with 155psi and it pulled strong, however, I have never been on another RC so I have nothing to compare it to. Guys, is 155psi alright or will I be yanking the pistons out tonight?

"IF" I pull the pistons out to hone the walls and install new rings can someone explain why pzilla has 4 colors for rod bearings? Would I be correct by saying they represent oversized bearing?
Canty

·
Registered
310 Posts
Never mind on the colors. I found it in the manual just now. However, why would Honda use different colors to start with? I would assume it would be the same bearing for every motor. Or am I viewing this concept wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts