RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2000 for 2700, it has had a tough life. Obvious signs of being laid down even though the AF plastics are fine.

Problem IM having is the Speedo turns on, lights up, tracks rpm and f1 codes but won't register speeds.

Registers 189 or something when turned on (start up), but while driving no dice, nothing.

All connections are solid. Is it an electrical thing or vacuum? But the Speedo its self is cracked

Any ideas are appreciated.

I will introduce my self when I get near a computer.

V/r

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be the speedo sensor or wiring.
Got a speedo-healer installed? Try reconnecting the OEM connectors.
I dove in to it late this afternoon, fairings ate held together by zip ties... Man. AF fairings with nut washer and bolt in tight a$$ places.

Downloaded the service manual, gonna give that a good read but I have a feeling the Speedo is shot.

Thank you for the reply, I will be in coco beach next weekend. Not to far from sota.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the connections are connected. Need a meter to test them. But how do you get the damn speed sensor out?

The speedo reads 3560 miles so its been messed with or broke for a good while..

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts

That looks to be the easy part...:D

I like the all silver by the way;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That looks to be the easy part...:D

I like the all silver by the way;)
Thanks.

Man that's some tight working in there! Just got done reading the same pages. Local mechanic is helping me out with the manual.

One other issue is the fairings, AF fairing are held in with bolt and lock nut. There has to be a faster + better way to disassemble. Quick releases or the plastic interior holder things.

It's getting late, sorry for the rambling

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Thanks.

Man that's some tight working in there! Just got done reading the same pages. Local mechanic is helping me out with the manual.

One other issue is the fairings, AF fairing are held in with bolt and lock nut. There has to be a faster + better way to disassemble. Quick releases or the plastic interior holder things.

It's getting late, sorry for the rambling
Ha...you gotta figure these are built by Japanese. Small and impossible work angles are what they do!:D

Fairing are a bit time consuming to pull. I don't trust the quick release fasteners....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pro bolt is a good product, ive had them before. yeah looks like someone tried to mess with the speedo for sure. they probably disconnected the sensor to keep mile low. scammers bro!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ham, what's your afsc? Over here at moody.

there was a drug deal going on while I was inspecting the bike, figured it was pretty sketchy any way.

The bike runs and is in good hands now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
crew chief on spectre gunships man. used to be stationed in hurby field and trying to BOP to macdill now, how about urself

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
crew chief on spectre gunships man. used to be stationed in hurby field and trying to BOP to macdill now, how about urself
At moody, SF. Been here for about a year from Beale. I have a few friends at Mcdill, it's nice.

I was supposed to a crew chief on the hh60.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thats too funny i wanted to work on helo's too but got heavys instead. its a good job just deploy alot gotta head out there in a week but only for 150 days. gonna drop a couple grand into my RC though. sucks ill be gone for riding season though haha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the speed sensor out, looked fine, cleaned a little grit off of it. Screwed it back in. Traced the wires back to the ecu no problems.

So could the sensor be bad (I can test that with a volt meter right) or is the Speedo its self shot?

To do: test the sensor, but if any one has a Speedo laying around they want to sell let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats too funny i wanted to work on helo's too but got heavys instead. its a good job just deploy alot gotta head out there in a week but only for 150 days. gonna drop a couple grand into my RC though. sucks ill be gone for riding season though haha.
Going to the box for 6 in August, cuts my riding season short. But I'm over due.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: hooked up the voltage meter to the speed sensor. I'm getting volts, don't have a rear stand to check the voltage while the tire is turning.

Next step is pulling the front off the front and looking at the speedo. South ga thunderstorm forced me inside. Standing by.

Used speedo for 170 shipped confirmed working. Hope this drops the f1 blinks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts