RC51 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does 15K+ sound like alot of mileage for these bikes?
If treated reasonably well how many miles can I expect to get from an RC-51?

·
Registered
35 Posts
if threated reasonably then yes, but how would you really know that. i heard of a decent amnt of rc's with high milage 80,xxx and i think some guy with one that has near 100,xxx on it.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I have 28.5K miles on mine and it runs damn good still, hoping for 20K more :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does 15K+ sound like alot of mileage for these bikes?
If treated reasonably well how many miles can I expect to get from an RC-51?
I just bought an 03 last winter with 36k miles on it. The thing starts right up with no smoke and runs strong. All I needed was reseal the forks and a changed all the fluids and I'm off riding! As long as the bike was treated well I think it'll last a long time. It's a liquide cooled V twin, they tend to last a lot longer than air-cooled. Btw, it's a Honda! They last forever! (knock on wood)

·
Registered
139 Posts
recently bought mine with 14k on it. on these bikes its nothing, they routinely run over 50k miles, and higher when maintained well.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
52k....runs like a top...these HRC bikes i feel tend to be of a higher quality than the cbr street versions....GEAR DRIVEN CAMS FOR LIFEE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Bit of a thread revival here, but these kinds of bikes just need to be looked after properly and then the miles don't really take their toll. But neglect and time will. We (Honda dealers) sometimes refer to other marques as (affectionately, not seriously) disposables (yeah I know there's lots of members and riders elswhere that have 'other brands' as well and love them too so). Honda is synonymous with lengevity and rock solid reliability. Track bikes are different beasts, and normally unless they get binned, they are meticulously maintained (rightly so) and live long lives inspite of what they are subjected to. Street bikes however, are too often ignored or abused by squidly owners. It's been my experience that the other three Japanese brands are more often (but not always) the ones that get wrung out brutally and the CBRs, 919s, Hurricanes (and our beloved RC) etc tend to have more respectful owners and longer lives because of it. I see more Gixxers and Ninjas that are totally trashed (beyond what I would call even rough) and it makes me shake my head in disgust. Maybe the others just invite abuse more, I don't know for sure, but it's sad.
So in a nutshell miles don't really matter on these IMO, but proper care does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts