1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
i wish. Such an awesome bike.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Interesting, I wasn't even aware of an R7. Is it really worth $25k?

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
yep, it sure is. One of the rarest sport bikes out there. Was built in the golden age of WSBK, when manufacturers designed, built, and sold homologation models to the public, so they could race the bike. The result was some serious and rare sport bikes released to the public in limited quantities, and manufacturers designing bikes to race.....not necessarily with the showroom floor in mind.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Sadly enough, like the RC, the R7 needs a lot of $$$$$ in Yamaha special parts, to make real competitive horsepower.

Even if you had the 25k to buy it, as a stock bike, if you find yourself in a track next to a 2008 CBR600 or a GSXR750, also stock, you don't stand a chance.

I've ridden one, a long time ago but never owned one.

When I was head mechanic to the local Yamaha, I had to attend to a seminar in the main dealership's workshop, where we got to take apart an R7 engine......damn was that a jewel....

I was afraid to use the wrench not to mark the bolts.
Titanium rods, cost 1500 euros EACH back in 2006.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Yeah, it does come with one of the race kits. I'm assuming its the cheaper one which gives you 130 hp. The other one bumps you up to 160.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Damn rare and great bike there.....there are a lot of people who have never heard of its existence because it was so limited, especially in North America.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I always saw a few pottering around my home village back in the UK. Lovely bike. I've seen a few R1's on Ebay (UK) for sale with the R7 kit on. That sounds like a good compromise.

·
Registered
220 Posts
25g is a freakin bargain!! espically with one of the race kits even if its the "b" kit for want of a better description. The lower spec kit still gives you reliability with a compromising nod towards having sufficient hp to make it chase thous' on a track-day,the "a" kit came with the usual horrendous service life. There is one of its predessors on gumtree here in Oz at the moment,the equally sublime owo1,30000 to you sir! and its bog stock. There was one (r7) on ebay UK just recently,ex race machine if I recall,16000 of your finest English pounds if I once again recall correctly. Why do I have to be poor!!

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Is this the bike to take out for a trackday or to race as a privateer? Fuck no, it wasn't even that back when it was released (unless you were an AMA privateer with a trust fund). This is something you buy as a collector piece to park in your living room next to your RC45, and take around the block once or twice a year.

The dealership I worked for had one sitting in its showroom for a very long time. They also had one of the race kits but it wasn't installed. I remember them trying to sell the bike for around 35 or 40 with no takers for a while. They did a lottery system to see which dealers would get these bikes, and our dealer was lucky enough to get one.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Damn rare and great bike there.....there are a lot of people who have never heard of its existence because it was so limited, especially in North America.
I'm one of those people. I only became interested and following some racing in the last few years.

You should be... If it wasn't for a lame anti-doping rule an R7 likely would have taken the 2000 World Championship from the RC51.
I'd be very interested to know the back story on that.

Ok, I just read on Wiki that Haga was forced to sit out for a few races, which gave Colin the chance to amass points, thereby making it impossible for Haga to catch up.
Is that about it?

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Nori had points taken away as well.....i think he would've taken the championship. That was his season to win and he had it taken away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts