RC51 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This not an RC51 exclusive question and concerns rain tires. At a local track day here in upstate NY I saw a rider swap wheels with rain tires due to the wet track. My question concerns the changing of brake rotors with the wheel swap. Do you need to bed in the pads to the swapped rotors or is this practice for older motorcycles with old carbon steel rotors?

Thank you
KRR

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yes the pads will need to be bedded in again with the new rotors. This is a very quick process though as long as you have been using the same pad compound on both sets of rotors as all you really need to do is get the bike up to about 70mph and slow it down to around 30mph 4 or 5 times in a row. This will allow the pads to conform to the grooves in the rotors.

If you are changing pad compounds it is a little more in depth as I have explained in this article
ROGUE Brake Pads Information Page

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LDH, what about Daytona

LDH, thank you for your response. I have a follow-up question: At Daytona when tires are changed do the riders bed the brakes the best they can before use or are brakes not really a concern at Daytona?

Thanks
KRR

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
They just make due with the situation at the time. It is entirely manageable with little effort, but yes each pad has to be re-bedded to the rotor surface before it is optimal again. Generally speaking though they are on relatively new rotors for that kind of Endurance Event. The fresher the rotors the less grooves the pads will have to conform too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts