Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im not new to bikes as I've had the following
2002 R6
2000 TLR
2005 R1

I am new to honda though...

I really want to go back to a vtwin but dont feel like dealing w/a duc's maintenance and TLR's are getting harder to find so im looking at Rc51's but never had a honda (not even a car)

I'm just interested in the following

1. What are good model years to look at?
2. Any years that are problem years?
3. Common problems?
4. Any other insisght you all can provide I'd appreciate

Thanks, T

·
Registered
863 Posts
All years are good but others will chime in and say the SP2 is the holy grail which is bs.

No real problems but Subsailor will chime in in a bit with a whole laundry list of stuff thats of no real concern. Whatever you do dont go back to a TLR those bikes suck ass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All years are good but others will chime in and say the SP2 is the holy grail which is bs.

No real problems but Subsailor will chime in in a bit with a whole laundry list of stuff thats of no real concern. Whatever you do dont go back to a TLR those bikes suck ass.

thanks for the info

except for the suck ass part...that sounded kinda fanboy'ish...but i am on a honda forum im sure it would be reversed on a tlr site...either way dont worry i prob wont go back cuz its too hard to find one i would buy, loved my old one though..hence why i want another vtwin

·
Registered
863 Posts
thanks for the info

except for the suck ass part...that sounded kinda fanboy'ish...but i am on a honda forum im sure it would be reversed on a tlr site...either way dont worry i prob wont go back cuz its too hard to find one i would buy, loved my old one though..hence why i want another vtwin
No really the TLR sucks ass. The reason their so hard to find is because all the squids that rode them either wrecked em out or rode em into the ground. The reason they suck is because they were over weight their suspension completely blew ass and their attempts at the pro racing circuit were horrible even though they did manage to win one race but that was well before the 51 showed up on the scene. You'll be MUCH happier and more comfortable and be able to ride a hell of alot better with the 51. Oh and when the rear seat was replaced with the solo seat cowl it looked like the rider was shitting out a giant egg. The 51 has great suspension when you get it dialed in right it has some of the best brakes on a motorcycle even to this day and responds very well to mods. Trust me dude go with the 51

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No really the TLR sucks ass. The reason their so hard to find is because all the squids that rode them either wrecked em out or rode em into the ground. The reason they suck is because they were over weight their suspension completely blew ass and their attempts at the pro racing circuit were horrible even though they did manage to win one race but that was well before the 51 showed up on the scene. You'll be MUCH happier and more comfortable and be able to ride a hell of alot better with the 51. Oh and when the rear seat was replaced with the solo seat cowl it looked like the rider was shitting out a giant egg. The 51 has great suspension when you get it dialed in right it has some of the best brakes on a motorcycle even to this day and responds very well to mods. Trust me dude go with the 51
hey cant a guy poke a little "e-fun" at somebody j/k

im sure all thats true but i dont plan on joining the pro-circuit or amatuer for that matter so its all a mooo point hehe...anyway i already said im goin for an Rc, but you got to admit at the very least for me to come back to vtwins after an R1 does have to say something about my experience with the TLR

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've owned a 2002 GSX-R600, 2001 Aprilia Mille, 2003 Hayabusa, 2006 Hayabusa, and now a 2001 RC51. There are more parts available for the SP2 model which is 2002-2006. They have some upgrade changes like throttle bodies, suspension, and a list of other things I can't remember. I don't ride on the track so I wouldn't notice the difference between the two bikes performance-wise. The RC hands down has been the best bike I've owned. It's so much fun to ride even though it's very uncomfortable. Since I don't track ride, any time I get a slight turn in South Florida I tend to really lean into it. This RC is the best handling bike I've ever owned. Everyone will talk about how good the turning is. Get one that is in your budget and you'll be more than happy. A good way to locate one is go to google and search something like 'jaxed craigslist mash up rc51' and you'll find a site that literally has every craigslist ad that is either an RC or its parts. They even have Ebay ads for the bikes only, no parts. It's usually about 2 pages max, so you can sit down and in about 15 minutes you'll have a list of RCs that are close to you, unless you live somewhere in the middle of nowhere. That site really makes finding an RC very simple. I found one on there in Texas that was so cheap that I had it shipped here to SoFla.

·
Registered
863 Posts
hey cant a guy poke a little "e-fun" at somebody j/k

im sure all thats true but i dont plan on joining the pro-circuit or amatuer for that matter so its all a mooo point hehe...anyway i already said im goin for an Rc, but you got to admit at the very least for me to come back to vtwins after an R1 does have to say something about my experience with the TLR
It must say something indeed because I've owned both an R1 and currently an RC and I would go back to the R1 in a heart beat. I currently own a 08 CBR 1KRR thats my street bike and it can hands down DESTROY my 51. But the 51 is paid for and I figure its a great bike to build up my track skills with so I kept it and am going to track it if my plastics will ever get here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
rigth on!!

you don´t know how rigth you are, we call it the "herald of free enterprise" name after a ferry who capsized in the channel, it´s slow, heavy, can´t steer and looks like shit (well that´s a matter fo the eye who sees the bike i guess"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It must say something indeed because I've owned both an R1 and currently an RC and I would go back to the R1 in a heart beat. I currently own a 08 CBR 1KRR thats my street bike and it can hands down DESTROY my 51. But the 51 is paid for and I figure its a great bike to build up my track skills with so I kept it and am going to track it if my plastics will ever get here.

oh i have no doubt my R1 would have beat and Rc also but i just like the vtwin torque feel better... plus i would go way too fast in my R1.....actually thats will still prob happen...its not like an RC is slow ...for some reason im also thinking about a kawi 636 from a few years ago too... hmmmm

lol nah...wait yes...i dont know

·
Registered
86 Posts
The RC51 is a great bike, and though's down on power compared the the plethora of GSXRCBRZXR1000RRRRXR's out there, it just has something they dont. call it the X-Factor if you will!

It really stands out from the crowd.

With a few carefully chosen mods, they can be tweaked quite nicely too. Mine is making a smidge under 131Bhp at the wheel (which is 2002 R1 Power) and 77 Ft/Lb torque.

Wouldnt get rid of mine for anything else
:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RC51 is a great bike, and though's down on power compared the the plethora of GSXRCBRZXR1000RRRRXR's out there, it just has something they dont. call it the X-Factor if you will!

It really stands out from the crowd.

With a few carefully chosen mods, they can be tweaked quite nicely too. Mine is making a smidge under 131Bhp at the wheel (which is 2002 R1 Power) and 77 Ft/Lb torque.

Wouldnt get rid of mine for anything else
:D

well put ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My .02... As someone who looked for and purchased a 2002 last fall.

02 and later will be a 'better' target to shoot for. As far as I can recall (as I am new-ish myself)

• Upgraded injectors and throttle bodies
    Upgraded suspension, both front and rear
    revised swingarm.
    revised front brakes
    ummm...better looking wheels
    more after market parts (4yr model run v. 2yr run for the sp1)

Based on the list of bikes you had: think of a heavier 02 R6 with mountains of torque, a much lower redline and Honda build quality

I have never ridden a tiller so I cant compare them but I have 'heard' that the tlr's were a little ponderous and had a 'interesting' rear suspension (rotary damper - i never heard a good thing about them)

But the best real advice I got about them was that "they are an acquired taste" which is actually true. I liked it immediately but i could see how some would not.

As a reference - My bikes
Have:
03 VFR
02 RC51

Had:
02 R6
85 Vf1000R
85 Vf500 interceptor

·
Registered
66 Posts

• Upgraded injectors and throttle bodies
    Upgraded suspension, both front and rear
    revised swingarm.
    revised front brakes
    ummm...better looking wheels
    more after market parts (4yr model run v. 2yr run for the sp1)
Basically what I said, but don't necessarily hold out for the newer model unless you have the budget for one. If you do, go for it. But are you going to really notice your swingarm is different? No. Are you going to realize your brakes are different? Probably not. My Aprilia had Brembos which were AMAZING at stopping and honestly my 2001 Nissin brakes on my RC are DANG CLOSE to the same. You can't see your own wheels when your on the bike so that doesn't matter either lol.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts

Sounds like someone has SP2 envy...:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Comparing an RC51 with an R1 is like comparing apples with pears.
Compare it with a mille or a ducati. But an R1 is a completely different beast.
As others have said, The differences between the SP1 and SP2 are mostly irrelevant to most people. The biggest fault with the SP1 was reported as snatchy fuelling. I own a Bog standard SP1 and can't really say it's a problem for me (or have ever really noticed it) I have unconciously learned to ride around it, in the same way you would ride around a two stroke's powerband.
Sure, a modern R1 would run rings round an RC51. But parked side by side, given each ones heritage, I know which I prefer. You can't beat a bit of HRC loveliness.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only real big issue i have had with my rc is the gas tank. There the gas tank's hinge is..the welds holding the hinge on tend to rust and start to leak gas (surprisingly all over the rear exhaust header). a new tank will cost probably 300- 700 bucks. For now i am just using this wonderful sealer stuff i found at an auto store and filed down the whole area and then layered this stuff on. People said that jb weld would work...but i tried that the first time and in about 2 weeks it was leaking again and the jb weld was mushy and peeling off. I think the stuff i used was called goop all or something. anyway it was rated for petroleum products and so far it hasn't leaked again.

Aside from that the bike has cause me no real problems nor has it ever left me stranded.
only other issue was the positive battery connector broke...but that was due to a loose connection i figure. Anyway that is a simple fix as the lead for it is about 8 inches long and i just made a new one with some parts i had laying around.

All in all, great bike. reliable and fun as fuck (pardon my French) to ride. A little uncomfortable but you get used to that. people say that its not as powerful as the newer crotch rockets...but really...how much power do you need? mine has an exhaust, and pc3 usb and i have no issues with the amount of power it has, plus it sounds better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only real big issue i have had with my rc is the gas tank. There the gas tank's hinge is..the welds holding the hinge on tend to rust and start to leak gas (surprisingly all over the rear exhaust header). a new tank will cost probably 300- 700 bucks. For new i am just using this wonderful sealer stuff i found at an auto store and filed down the whole area and then layered this stuff on. People said that jb weld would work...but i tried that the first time and in about 2 weeks it was leaking again and the jb weld was mushy and peeling off. It think the stuff i used was called goop all or something. anyway it was rated for petroleum products and so far it hasn't leaked again.

Aside from that the bike has cause me no real problems nor has it ever left me stranded.
only other issue was the positive battery terminal broke...but that was due to a loose connection i figure. Anyway that is a simple fix as the lead for it is about 8 inches long and i just made a new one with some parts i had laying around.

All in all, great bike. reliable and fun as fuck (pardon my French) to ride. A little uncomfortable but you get used to that. people say that its not as powerful as the newer crotch rockets...but really...how much power do you need? mine has an exhaust, and pc3 usb and i have no issues with the amount of power it has, plus it sounds better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts