RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have noticed the past few times riding that I will catch a whiff of coolant from the ol' girl. All temps are fine and there are no external leaks (on the ground). I plan of tearing into her over the winter for some minor mods, but I was wondering if there is any kind of history with our RC's? Anything specific I should look for with the coolant?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It could be as simple as a loose hose clamp allowing a drop or two of coolant to periodically escape and burn off; many of these bikes are starting to get up there in age so it's definitely something to keep an eye on during routine maintenance or the next time you have the fairings off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be as simple as a loose hose clamp allowing a drop or two of coolant to periodically escape and burn off; many of these bikes are starting to get up there in age so it's definitely something to keep an eye on during routine maintenance or the next time you have the fairings off.
That's what I was thinking as well. I am thinking about replacing all hoses and clamps during the winter hibernation. I was also wondering if our bikes have any other known issues (i.e. - radiator seams leaking, heads, etc.) I am certain I will see what my problem is once the firings are off. I just want to get it in my head if I need to make a larger repair...

Thanks Cobra!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
The only really major issue with the year you have is a leaking gas tank. You would definitely notice that!

Like Cobra stated, these bikes are aging and require some TLC, which is not uncommon. Samco hoses are a popular to replace OEM hoses, one of our sponsors could help you with getting a set of hoses and clamps.

If you find an issue its because something came loose and caused excessive wear.(I replaced the foam packings around the radiators and fairings.)

Since you have a 2000, one last ounce of prevention is to replace the FPR if you have not done so already.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just replaced the OEM with Samco hoses and clamps. A set of small hands would have been helpful lol. It's a bit of a job to do if you've never done it before.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the hose connections are fine, check the left rad (one with the fan). It can get minute spits in the tubes near the mounts.
SP1's have only two mounting points on the rads. With excessive vibration from rough roads, or higher mileage units the mounting brackets fatigue and put stress on the fins and tubes.
Usually noticed first by rider getting a faint smell of antifreeze at stops.
Leaks are so minor at first that the foam surrounding the rad soaks up the liquid.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Check that the fan(s) hasn't/haven't been pushed into the rad(s). Check coolant level and parts around the overflow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The only really major issue with the year you have is a leaking gas tank. You would definitely notice that!

Since you have a 2000, one last ounce of prevention is to replace the FPR if you have not done so already.
As luck would have it, the FPR was replaced and the gas tank was coated as one of the minor repairs that were done when my wife picked it up. :)

Thanks for all your help guys! I am going to pull it off the road for the season. This cold weather with original rubbers won't mix. Time to pick up my stands and put the ol' girl under the knife! I will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally had the chance to tear into the ol' girl. Turns out I need to replace the water pump mechanical seal. Doesn't look like a big deal to me as I am quite mechanically handy.

Do any of you have any advice or suggested "while you are in there" replacements? I know I will need at least the new seal, gasket on the side cover as well?

It also mentions the use of a special tool for pressing the seal in. Is it really needed or can I use a large socket?

As always, thanks for all your help!

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts