RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RC51 SP2 that I bought used and had to repair the tank. The bike sat for the winter and some of the summer (it ran fine before that). I drained the fuel for storage and the like.

Now I got the tank done and installed it on the bike. Filled it up with fuel and nothing. It will roll over, but won't fire .

I'm not smelling any gas. Do you think the injectors may be clogged or do I have to just keep up with trying to start it? In other words, "is it normal to take some time to get the bike to start after some storage time?"

Any info would be great. I'm getting no fault codes from the FI.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it primes. That's why I'm so confused. Do you think maybe plugged injectors? I'm going to check out the spark plugs soon to see if they have gas on them, but I don't think that they throttle bodies are pushing out any gas because I smell nothing when I try (normally you can smell gas if the bike is flooding or not firing).

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yes it primes. That's why I'm so confused. Do you think maybe plugged injectors? I'm going to check out the spark plugs soon to see if they have gas on them, but I don't think that they throttle bodies are pushing out any gas because I smell nothing when I try (normally you can smell gas if the bike is flooding or not firing).
Probably injectors clogged or possibly not getting a spark so check the plugs and clean em real good or go ahead and get new ones. Just an FYI the bike is fuel injected so it won't flood, only carb motors do that. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the plugs they spark they also had gas on them so I think the injectors are ok. Any ideas?

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
Probably injectors clogged or possibly not getting a spark so check the plugs and clean em real good or go ahead and get new ones. Just an FYI the bike is fuel injected so it won't flood, only carb motors do that. ;)
Fuel injected cars/bikes can still flood if there's no spark. It keeps spraying fuel until it starts.

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
Check the spark bro. Take off a spark plug, connect it to one of the ignition wires and hold it towards a ground i.e. the frame, motor ect. and crank it. If a spark jumps the gap, spark plug and coil is good but remember that you need to do both.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I checked the plugs they spark they also had gas on them so I think the injectors are ok. Any ideas?
Fuel injected cars/bikes can still flood if there's no spark. It keeps spraying fuel until it starts.
Not true

Check the spark bro. Take off a spark plug, connect it to one of the ignition wires and hold it towards a ground i.e. the frame, motor ect. and crank it. If a spark jumps the gap, spark plug and coil is good but remember that you need to do both.
If you look above he already tried that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered a new set of plugs to be on the safe side (I'll need the eventually anyway). I found them for ten bucks a piece which I thought was a pretty good price for NGK's.

Do you guys think the injectors may be partially plugged? It's just weird to me because the plugs had gas on them and they spark. The air filters where also just cleaned (K&N's) as well.

If I clean the injectors anyone want to point me to a good way to do this. I'm amusing I have to soak them in something.

Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Technically to clean them your supposed to take them and have them put into a machine that cleans them out. I have heard of people doing this but its very expensive and kind of pointless when you can just get new ones. I don't think thats your problem though

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I agree. If there wasn't any gas on the plugs then I'd worry, but they where wet (no soaked). Hopefully some new plugs will sort her out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if ur fuel regulator went bad it could be stuck wide open and flooding the bike. check all ur power fuses u might have popped on my bike sat for 5 months in a simular situation and i popped a run fuse. the pump primed and the bike cranked but no fire, so u might want to look at that to

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just found out that I had the negative wire on the positive for my PCIIIR. Upon, switching it she is now firing, but not running so I've made a whole lot of progress so far.

Does it take some time to get RC to start after storage? I've also reloaded the PCIIIR with a map just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You had the ground wire from the pc on the positive battery post? WOW !!!

I'm thinking you probably fried some stuff and thats why it won't start. The pc still works?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I'm surprised the plugs are firing.
The PCIIIr also controls timing advance, so it's interconnected to the pulse generator.
If the bike still won't fire, disconnect the PCIIIr.
She might fire up. If so, the PCIIIr may be damaged from reversed polarity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The PCIIIR is communicating with my computer and the bike is firing. It's will only run for a couple of seconds and stall. I think the PC is fine.

I am gonna try to run a bypass to see what happens. I haven't tried the map that I got for it yet aside from trying to fire her up after a long siesta. It's from Rogue (Sato Lows).

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is old but i figured i would ask. Do you find out what it is? Im having the same exact problem. Had my tank off for a couple months and now it wont fire up. It will if i let it sit all day and only run for a few seconds and cut out. If i keep hitting the start button it will crank but no ignition and smell like its flooded

1 - 19 of 19 Posts