RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's, I have searched through other post's on this issue, but mine is a bit different as I was not doing 100+ or revving the heck out of my bike.

2 weeks ago, I took my bike out for a ride and along the way I stopped to have it washed by some high school kids raising money for band or something. Wash went fine, but on the way home my horn started blaring and would not stop:eek: I pressed the button repeatedly and found if I held the button in it would stop.

Once I got home I shut the bike off and turned it on a few times and the horn still blared. next morning I turned it on...no horn blowing, so I just figured a bit of water had gotten someplace it shouldn't have and completed a circuit.

A day ago, I went out to ride and now she will not start at all :confused: I turn on the power, dash comes up, lights both front and rear are lit....but when I press the starter NOTHING !

I borrowed a charger from my local shop, ran it all night on 2amp but same result. The battery is a Shorai that I got back in May, so I am 99% sure it is not a battery issue but I am 0% sure on what it could be:confused:

Any help is appreciated so thanks in advance

·
Registered
198 Posts
I try not to ride mine if its raining, let alone have high school girls spray water all over and up in places water shouldn't be. Shame on you. are you sure your bike was even dirty? LOL hope you get that one figured out. According to the RC rulebook i'm not sure we are allowed to give help on this one.... :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha ...it wasn't like that Clutch...yes, my bike was dirty and it was a way for me to pay it forward for all those times I needed to collect for band trips.

I really didn't think to much as it was water hose and soapy sponges....not like a pressure washer / power sprayer so that's why I did not think too much on it, but mentioned it as a symptom that could have lead or lead to the root cause.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Checked the fuses yet?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not....gonna do that when I get home. Spoke to LDH and he too suggested that. Figure I will go thru each and everyone and validate, as the dash and everything work...when I press the start button the lights go dim so LDH suggested that meant the relay worked so I hope it is a fuse. Will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
There's only 3 people I'd let wash my bike. Me, myself, and I.
Now I understand that a guy (like me :D) might be tempted to duck into the carwash to get a little eyefull of girls in bikini's washing cars. Go ahead and do so, making sure to leave a decent donation. Just don't let them touch the bike. :D

I think your bike should be completely cold when you wash it with copious amounts of soapy water.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i never use water

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I could make and exception to my policy. As long as she Doe Not Talk! More washing, no talking. That baby voice. :rolleyes:
Nothing like a burning magnesium sparkler inside a vehicle interior.
Check the sparks flying all over. Works wonders on upholstery.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Mad...thanks. Now back to the original programming -

I replaced all of the fuses and still nothing. While on the right side changing the fuses I noticed that my chain guard looked like it had water marks, so I grabbed a shop towel and wiped what looked to be water off. Stain didn't come off, but the paint from my chain guard did. Immediately I looked down and where the "water' had dripped on my garage floor had been eaten away.

Next I pulled the battery and can see where some sort of liquid was coming out of the battery and was leaking. This is the part where folks want to tell me "This is a dry Lithium Ion battery so there is no liquid inside that can leak"....well I am here to tell you some sort of liquid was dripping out, and whatever it is has eaten the concrete on my floor as well as left marks on my chain guard !

I spoke to Shorai this morning and they are going to send out a new battery and send them back this one. Once the bike is running again, I will have the voltage checked as I know the range for a Shorai is 13.6 - 14.4, so I hope I do not have a grounding issue that is sending more voltage to the battery than necessary

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as they send out another I won't complain too much ...I suspect that Shorai may not actually be as heat tolerant as stated...or I have a short issue.

Either way, I will spend some time going from head to toe and doing a visual check looking for pinched wiring or wires that could be causing a ground problem

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
The leakage current test is where indicates a possible short, where with all electrical loads off, you still get some current measured.

Once you get it started and running, I'd check the charging voltage (high and low beams on, and the engine at over 4000 RPM).
A leaking battery may be from over-charging and boiling the electrolyte, causing internal pressure to build up.

This happened to a friend of mine on his Suzuki, where his regulator went kaput and was outputting over 15V charging voltage.
His battery blew up and dumped acid all over that area of the bike, and the current surge destroyed anything electrical or electronic on his bike.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'd check the resistance of the stator coils per the manual to see if you are good there. Adding water may have exposed a leak you didn't know about in your cover area.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks gang...I do appreciate all of the great help...gotta say something for shorai, just got an email from FedEx showing my replacement is on the way !

·
Registered
215 Posts
I borrowed a charger from my local shop, ran it all night on 2amp but same result. The battery is a Shorai that I got back in May, so I am 99% sure it is not a battery issue but I am 0% sure on what it could be:confused:
Could this be the reason your battery went Thuuummppp (fart noise)? I have never owned a Shorai, But I know different types of batteries have different charging methods! I guess we will know when you put in the new Battery.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts