RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Way to make the cleaning of the 'ol girl into a rave party, Makis. It makes me thirst for some Jager Bombs.:D

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I remember watching this video when I first got my SP1...made chain cleaning look fun!

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember watching this video when I first got my SP1...made chain cleaning look fun!
Makes me feel relieved knowing that I helped at least one guy here, by making that video.
Thanks for that William :)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No problem...but also watched hers the same night :eek:

http://youtu.be/4zxbKr73vDQ
No way I'm putting those chain cleaning products on my chain.

Dried up grease mixed with dust and crap, doesn't clean away magically. Needs soaking and brushing to do that and always with second run on the process.

Those chain cleaning products, at least those sold around here, have cleaning solvent in them like acetone and such.
They do get the dirty grease off but they reduce the o-rings' life as well.

After a lot of try and error, I came to the conclusion that only diesel fuel, WD-40 and kerosene are ok to use and actually lube the o-rings instead of damaging them.

I also use a soft toothbrush made to be gentle with human gums for the same reason. Not to damage the o-rings.

On my last CBR, staying loyal to the above, I got 80.000km out of my 525 DID chain.
The RC now has little more than 42.000km on it's chain which is the OEM that came out of the production line with by the way, and it looks as good as new.
I am talking about a 14 year old DID that has at least another 20.000km before it needs to be renewed.

The Motul Road chain lube is my favorite out of everything else available around here. More product for it's price tag and very fast drying after applying it so it won't spill around if I ride the RC after half an hour I apply it on the chain. But not for the price of $9.75 the girl mentions.
Here it costs 12-14 euros for the same amount of product.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
If it makes you feel any better...I didn't listen to her...but thought it was funny that I watched both videos the same night.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
WD 40 will damage o-rings, just sayin

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Never seen that happen during the last 15 years I'm using it.

For more info, try this

http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

WD-40 and Bikes
Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product should not be used on bike chains.
Fact:
While WD-40 Multi-Use Product it is not a grease, it is formulated with strong lubricating oils and other ingredients, and is a terrific product to use for bike maintenance. It does not attract dirt or moisture to metal surfaces – just be sure to wipe off any excess WD-40 Multi-Use Product before riding.

For long-term lubrication and other specialized bicycle maintenance needs, check out WD-40® BIKE. Developed specifically for cyclists and mechanics, this high-performance line of bicycle care products is sure to become a mainstay in the toolboxes of bike mechanics for decades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts