RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been riding sportbikes for about 5 years. I currently have an 08 Yamaha R1 but I've been looking for something "different" to complement it. I am very attracted to the RC51 and its V-twin motor.

Problem is, I'm 6'5 260# with rather long legs. A big part of fitment on a bike for me is the shape of the tank and the location of the footpegs. Specifically, I need to be able to get my knees comfortably fit in the tank grooves.

If I'm sitting in a relatively "neutral" position with my heels pushed down, I can barely fit my knees properly into the grooves on the tank, but if I raise my heels even slightly (i.e. to put weight more on the balls of my feet), my knees are out of position and the shape of the tank pushes out on my thighs.

I thought maybe rearsets would help, but looking at the various rearset options available, it seems that most of them move the pegs UP as well as back. While moving back would help, moving UP would exacerbate the fitment problem. And even if they did move straight back some, it looks as though my boots would be resting right on the exhaust.

Are any of you RC riders tall/long-legged? How are you working with the bike? Have you modified it? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Am I just too tall/long-legged for an RC51?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
Yeah the RC51 is a relatively compact bike.
Pretty much all rearsets are oriented to track use, so they will tend to move your peg location up and/or back.
I'm 5'11" and it seems to suit me very well.

Your height of 6'5" falls way outside the "standard" design dimensions for most bikes, which I believe is around 5'10" and 150 Lbs for weight.

About the only company I knew that had practically infinite adjustable rearsets for the RC51 (Cycle Cat) ceased manufacture last year, and only just recently started making rearsets for very limited bikes (Ducati). They would've been the ones for you.

I bought a set for my 'Busa two years ago and they were works of art. Just gorgeous.
I was ready to buy a set for my RC51 when I got the bad news.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 250 LBS, and the bike fits me well, BUT! I'm also tall in the torso, my inseam is only 32". Being tall in the torso makes the clip-ons easy to reach and the pegs not an issue. I'm on my motorcycle holiday week, and so far I've logged in 860 miles on the RC in three days...........with alcohol and hot tub in the evenings I might add to soothe tired cramped joints and muscles. I love my RC it's a life keeper!

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've been riding racer-replica sportbikes for over twenty years (remember the GSXR-1100?), and with the possible exception of my 916 Duck, the RC51 is undoubtedly the most cramped/least roomy of any of them. I'm only 5'11" and around 200 pounds, and anything much over 100 miles without a stop, a few Advil, and maybe a nap just isn't fun.

I went the rearset route (Gilles), and while they are beautifully engineered and built, they don't do squat for comfort.

·
Registered
389 Posts
cbxjohn - you and i are size twins. i too am 6'2", 250+/-10lbs, and a 32 inseam. i hate finding jeans.

anyway, back to the original post. i have buell drop pegs on my rc51 and superhawk. they drop the pegs an inch and push them back about an inch. made a huge difference. i cannot imagine riding without them. they were cheap too. i have posted about them on here before, search "buell peg". if you have further questions pm me. i could email pics too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in 6'6" 275# and I ride mine fairly well. Only after a longer ride does my wrists tend to start bothering me. I am also looking for a different rearset arrangement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
6'4" and 220lbs here. 35" inseam.

i've never had a problem tucking into the tank. theres not a lot of room left over, granted, but there is a lot of room on the seat to slide front to back to make adjustments. on the highway i just slide my butt back to the stop and lay down. it's no concourse14, but it takes an hour or more for me to want a break.

it's not a torture rack, if that's what you're asking.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm 6"1" 215, 32 inseam and I was worried about the suspension setup and adjustability, but the bike I'm buying has Ohlins front and rear and a Kyle link so I'm thinking I'll be okay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts