RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
RC51 people.I bought a set of heli bars for and sp1 off flea bay 12months ago and have decided to buy a bike to attach them too.
Looking at one with 65000ks on it.Is there anything to be concerned about with high ks like this???
Previously owned a 99 vfr800 that had double this without issue but not familiar with sp1s are they equally bullet proof ?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The RC51 uses the same technology as the VFR800.
Gear drive cams, ceramic cylinder liners, etc. Just two big cylinders vs. four.

As with any machine, if well maintained, they will last forever.
If not well maintained or abused, they will wear out before their time.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The RC51 uses the same technology as the VFR800.
Gear drive cams, ceramic cylinder liners, etc. Just two big cylinders vs. four.

As with any machine, if well maintained, they will last forever.
If not well maintained or abused, they will wear out before their time.

Actually the RC51 with those giant 4" slugs in it tends to wallow out the cylinders into an egg shape at a considerably accelerated rate compared to most Honda engines. I have seen many RC51 street engines smoking heavily at 30,000 miles and it doesn't get any better from there. Track only engines start it much earlier than that.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
So what bike do you recommend that has excellent reliability, build quality, handling, and is affordable by mere mortals?

Because after 10 years, I'm scared my ill-handling, unreliable, two-cylinder, bastard after-thought of a garbage scow by Honda may just up and explode without warning.

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Haha! Again i ask why the hell did they even build this bike....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
They built the bike to homologate a design into World Superbike Racing. They had to produce X amount of units in order to legally be allowed to compete so they did. About the only thing on the RC51 that was ahead of its time or truly stand out in terms of functionality was the ram-air system through the headstock and the front calipers which are IMO the best axial mount OEM calipers ever put on a production motorcycle in fact they are better than most of the OEM radial calipers currently on bikes and better than some aftermarket stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hi
RC51 people.I bought a set of heli bars for and sp1 off flea bay 12months ago and have decided to buy a bike to attach them too.
Looking at one with 65000ks on it.Is there anything to be concerned about with high ks like this???
Previously owned a 99 vfr800 that had double this without issue but not familiar with sp1s are they equally bullet proof ?
Both are really damn good bikes and the RC would rival the longevity of the vfr....you won't be disappointed.

Just be careful on this site.....some of us drink, smoke and do huge lines of coke. Of course all I have ever been accused of is telling everyone the 2003's are faster......but I will let you be the judge,;):D

Welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Both are really damn good bikes and the RC would rival the longevity of the vfr....you won't be disappointed.

Just be careful on this site.....some of us drink, smoke and do huge lines of coke. Of course all I have ever been accused of is telling everyone the 2003's are faster......but I will let you be the judge,;):D

Welcome.
The 2003 RC's are faster!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Reasons to look at a bike with that many miles/kms:

1) You are completely broke

2)The bike has absolutely every quality aftermarket add-on and It is in impeccable shape and It has recent tires, tune up, and suspension refresh

3) It is dirt cheap. Like $1500 cheap.

The 2003 RC's are faster!!!!
Indeed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am really too old for this bike and they generally sound like a bucket of short lived shit !Hard to believe they are made by honda.Oval bores at 30k and blue smoke ???? and all this from people who own them.
No way am I buying this crap bike !

No hang on I am buying it anyway because I have those heli bars already.

Least I have been warned !:D

PS.for australia it's cheep cheep

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
What mad said (about the '03 especially;)). Any bike will crater early if abused, just as many will stand the test of time if properly cared for and not abused. Trick is to find that hooligan dividing line between what's crazy insane fun and shit-head abuse. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check fork seals for leaks.
Check for stutter when in second gear at 30mph and stomp on it.
Gas tank leak at rear hinge.
Frozen front calipers and warped discs
Highest build quality and reliability of any bike ever built per owners who respond to RIDE UK survey for last 3 years running, only thing better or as good is 08' CBR 1000RR.
NO NEED TO BUY THIS HIGH MILEAGE UNIT.
Hold your horses for the right Filly.
I once bought a bike because I had a new tank bag, so I know what's going on.
You'll want to service the fork before you put on your Heli-bars. No since doing the job after you've removed the forks.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
One thing about the Heli-Bars on an RC51 (ok several things).
There is a fine area between where the bars fit between the upper cowl and tank.
Be careful and check your arc of movement.
You may find that you either hit the upper cowl or hit the tank or pinch your thumbs depending your bar placement.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I took the Heli-bars as a joke. :D
Maybe a cheap high mileage yet RC51 fits the bill for chickenstrip. If the price is low enough.

Tucking the thumbs on the gas tank definitely sucks. I hate that.
When I put my clipons back on after re-installing my fork legs, I tried to adjust them the opposite way.
Then the brake reservoir bolt hit the headlight bolt at full lock left. The way you turn to lock the ignition.
Ended up with the clipons at the middle of the adjustment range.

Let us know if the Heli-bars work well for you. :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I rode an ST1300 that had Heli's on it, was a good fit for that yoke. Can't see it on the SP tho. Mind you with the oval piston mod...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts