RC51 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group, recently traded my 05 R1 for a 00 RC51 with 14k on the odo. At first I was a little weary of the trade, but after owning the bike for a couple of weeks I must say I am pretty stoked on it :D. It's definitely heavier feeling than the R1, but theres something about the sound this motor makes that gets the blood pumping more than the scream of the I4

Hey does anybody know if these bikes have a fuel level warning light? I've been pretty low and havent seen any fuel light....?

·
Registered
389 Posts
welcome aboard!
i had an 05 gixxer 1k and sold it when the recall was announced. got an 01 rc51 to replace it. i too was nervous of the trade and wondered if i would regret it or be disappointed. i haven't looked back! the v twin music is special. and the bike is raucus and ALL MOTORCYCLE.
that being said i am thinking about adding a cbr1000rr.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I to have just sold my 06 R1 and bought an Sp1. What a difference! Just love the V twin sound and feel. John
Yeah it's a whole different world, but i'm diggin it as well. The thing is kind of a tank compared to the R1 at low speeds, but the motor makes up for it i think. I rode with a friend the other day who has an R1 and had no trouble keeping up, he thinks i'm an idiot for trading... but I think he's just set in his Yamaha ways. I dont think alot of people know about this bike or its history. I definitely am turning more heads on this than the R1. I developed an intermittent stumble when cold, so I'm gonna go try and find that today. From the research I did it sounds like these bikes are notorious for running problems. I was surprised to find the ECM just sitting loose in the tailsection free to bang around :eek:!?? Gonna secure that thing and see if i have any wiring issues. I was going to put some plugs in it, but they're $20 a piece, so gonna check em first lol. Ok I'm off to play with my RC, happy riding :)

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Welcome to the RC world. I am also a noob. Just picked up a 00 with 45,000 on it. You would never know it had that many miles on it. My last bike was a 90 ZX7 I imported from Japan. It was set up for the Japanese marked. Susp is very soft. So switching to the RC is like night and day for me. The ZX was top heavy so the RC feels light. Before the RC I had a couple NC30s. The RC feels very much like them but with allot more power.

If you look at the dash when you turn the key on. The FI light will come on for a short time and then go out. To the right is the fuel light. I ran mine the other day until the light came on. I got about 112 miles before it started flickering. At about 120 it was on steady.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welcome I won't call you an idiot cause I don't know you but it definitley was a bad trade. Also if you had no problems keeping up with your buddy on his R1 then he is a flat out crappy rider and you should take every opportunity to let him know this. Other then that again welcome and hope you enjoy the bike.

Oh yeah finepooch wasn't your bike up for sale??? I could have sworn I saw it for sale, hmmmmm thats weird

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Welcome to the Group!!

If you're racing against I-4 liter bikes, then you're at a serious disadvantage.
But if you're riding on the street, and you're happy with your trade, then that's all that matters. Enjoy the bike!

I myself think the new R1 is butt ugly and wouldn't have one regardless of it's qualities.
I have an I-4 in the form of a Hayabusa, but if someone offered me cash today (and I wish they would), it would be gone with no regrets.
Nice bike, but it doesn't stir my senses like my RC51.
That's why the 'Busa collects dust and the RC51 get all the money and attention.
But that's my opinion, which matters only to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for your input :rolleyes:. Actually he gave me $500 and my R1 had been layed down more than once, where as this bike has not. SO i dont think monetarily it was that bad of a trade. And honestly I am having more fun on this bike (maybe just because its something different) i dunno. I have yet to a trackday on it, but i cant really afford those anymore so who cares lol. I dont know you either, but you come across as sounding kind of like an idiot yourself for being a member of an RC51 forum and then to bag on them and my friend who you do not know? Go hate somewhere else :p
Welcome I won't call you an idiot cause I don't know you but it definitley was a bad trade. Also if you had no problems keeping up with your buddy on his R1 then he is a flat out crappy rider and you should take every opportunity to let him know this. Other then that again welcome and hope you enjoy the bike.

Oh yeah finepooch wasn't your bike up for sale??? I could have sworn I saw it for sale, hmmmmm thats weird

·
Registered
75 Posts
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new found toy, I also recently acquired an 05 RC and I also think It's a great bike.
This is not my first bike I've owned a cbr 929,gsxr 750,VFR800,Gsxr 1000,Yamaha 250x and others, nowadays its hard to find a bad motorcycle, its all down to the type of riding that you enjoy.
Once again, congratulations and just ride the thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts