RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put in a different shock and the bike now sits lower by a half inch. What are the pros and cons of changing seat height? I wonder if a lower seat will make it more wheelie prone?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Generally - it'll make it feel sluggish on turn in. Raising the rear will quicken the handling. Most aftermarket shocks/links will raise the rear.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You don't have the correct shock for the RC51 (as per your older posts) and there are many reasons this should not be done. For example the valving is wrong for the bike and obviously so is the bike geometry now too. You could lower the front end to get the bike to sit better but the bike is low even stock.

Yes, it will be more wheelie prone.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the Fox Shock to fit. Now I didn't take an accurate measurement before with the OEM shock. I understand that the OEM seat with OEM shock is 32.3 inches. I remeasured and am at 32.0 inches. I know I am taking a chance, and will do some easy tests maybe next week. If it doesn't work out, I can always go back to the OEM shock...GULP.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Without an accurate measurement before and after on your specific bike, I'd be hard pressed to trust measurements reported on the internet.

Tire wear alone can make a difference. Not to mention different tire diameters from different tire brands (even with the same general size spec). Etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yeah, but you can stand back from the bike a little and get a decent judgement on levelness and seat height. Especially if you're working with sag settings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts