RC51 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 2002 RC51. I have been riding for over 15 years, and owned a TL1000r, which was a V-Twin. I have never had the oppurtunity to ride a RC51, but have ridden 900rr, 600rr, etc. How does this bike match up to the other Liter bikes? Are they comfortable, or is it a balls out performance machine? Why an RC51 vs. a 1000rr? How are they on maintenance, and are they reliable? My last bike was a Ducati 1098, and it was terrible in the reliability dept. Your help is greatly apprecicated!! Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
6,493 Posts
The RC51 is no match to today's litre bikes.
Power-wise it's more akin to today's 600's (although with more torque).
After all the, RC51 is stuck in 2002 while the rest continued their relentless advancement.

I'm guessing if Honda stuck with the RC51, it would be right up there with the 1098/1198 or RC8/RC8R. But unfortunately, that didn't happen.

They're not as comfortable as newer bikes, but they're not as bad as some make out.
It's a compact bike and puts you up front in riding position.

Reliability-wise, the RC51 is a very stoutly built bike, as it was intended.

The engine is very reliable and hardly needs much beyond routine maintenance.
The valves need checking every 16K miles and most of the time don't need adjusting.
My 2002 RC51 has got has 43K miles and it keeps going day after day and has never failed to start.

Most folks who buy and RC51 do so not because it's the fastest thing around, but because it's different than typical I-4's.
I find it feels more raw than today's highly refined I-4 bikes.
And it was designed by HRC, so it has a great pedigree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RC51 is no match to today's litre bikes.
Power-wise it's more akin to today's 600's (although with more torque).
After all the, RC51 is stuck in 2002 while the rest continued their relentless advancement.

Really.... WOW. I thought because it was Engineered by HRC, it would be ahead in technology compared to the run of the mill street bike. I am not a speed demon, nor a stunter, I just appreciate a fine machine, and since its impossible to get my hands on a RC212v, I figured I would try an obtain something in the same category, the RC51. Ducati's Desmosedici is nice, but I am not willing to drop $75K on a toy. Thanks for your input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts