RC51 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ah gotcha. I was of the thinking that the air in the engine compartment behind the front wheel was of a higher pressure than the outside air, so it would be physically easier to move volumes out. Interesting. I'll be getting your scoops over the winter however...

·
Registered
606 Posts
There are members using fans in both the left and right scoops.
@Jake can provide some details on what he did.

With the airscoops you will see 30 degree temp drops as soon as your up to speed which is about as effective as front mount rads without all the cost and hassle of converting over to front mount rads.

The Sp1 has one fan from factory and mine never had overheating issues in the slightest.

In my opinion with two fans and the use of rad scoops your taking away some of the ability to move air with a fan in the right scoop. Only a single pusher fan is really needed.

SP1 OWNERS.
In order to use the airscoops on the Sp1 you need to convert to sp2 oil cooler and switchover to pusher SPAL fan on the left side rather then the oem puller.
To make the scoop work with the spal fan on the right rad I had to mount the fan so far forward that a small part of the fan isn't over top of the fins. If that rad is at all restricted I'd love to see how well the scoop performs without the fan. Very happy with how much cooler my bike runs since installing the scoops.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Im still a noob here.. and did spend almost all spring chasing down over heating issue. But am I missing something? Why would you need scoops and spal pushers? Once I installed my spal pushers, my bike NEVER got above 223, and that was in NYC TRAFFIC on a 93 degree day? Once those spals kick in.. the temp drops pretty quickly back to down to 210. After sitting in traffic for a while (20-30 mins.. completely stopped).. then the temp seems to stabilize around 220 and unfortuntaly the fans stay on. Are you guys seeing temps above 220-223 with spals?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The scoops help by directing airflow through the radiators while you are riding thereby keeping the engine overall operating temperature lower. I'm guessing that in heavy stop & go traffic the scoops might hinder cooling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im still a noob here.. and did spend almost all spring chasing down over heating issue. But am I missing something? Why would you need scoops and spal pushers? Once I installed my spal pushers, my bike NEVER got above 223, and that was in NYC TRAFFIC on a 93 degree day? Once those spals kick in.. the temp drops pretty quickly back to down to 210. After sitting in traffic for a while (20-30 mins.. completely stopped).. then the temp seems to stabilize around 220 and unfortuntaly the fans stay on. Are you guys seeing temps above 220-223 with spals?
Not concerned with traffic for some of us. Trackbikes don't sit still but are in high revs constantly, at full speed, running 210*+ constantly. I want all the cooling I can get!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm guessing that in heavy stop & go traffic the scoops might hinder cooling.
I would think they actually help because they isolate the radiators from the engine. I have no actual proof of this however. I hardly ever ride in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Count me in for a pair as well!

Wibbly, 1 left 02RC, 1 pair Duckhunter, 1 left nunya, 1 pair drifter83, 1 left Quizzy, 1 pair JNSD, 1 pair 1971allchaos, 1 pair kwtoxman, one pair Blueblur, 1 left expatbrit, 1 pair DannyBoy 1 pair BadToTheBown 1 left
Zotto, 1pair

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
i'm going to bump this back up

time is running out! i'm going to be closing this on sunday so if you want in please do it now.

i have a drawing for the sp1 bracket, i'll cut one out when i do the sp2 ones and will send to Dhc for proof of concept. if it works nicely i'll do a run for sp1s later

thanks

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
LOL...chill man. I just didn't understand as I had read elsewhere that the left radiator mounts would be the same between SP-1s and SP-2s. Hence my adding to your order list. When I read your post, and don't let this go to your head but I respect your opinion, I immediately became concerned that they might be different than what I had read. I also checked the fan mounts from the fan you used with what I have, which checked out for your bracket mounting.

If you want me off the list, I get it. You know what I'm looking for, I'll wait and see if you sell me the right brackets when you're confident in them working for SP-1s or SP-2s. Peace, have an eggnog and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
READ THE FIRST POST

it's in the title! why won't you read it!

I'll take you off the list for the brackets that I have explained will not work for you

once the sp1 units are proven I'll sell you one of those.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
check for the sp1 thread in the future.

i did everything i possibly could to be clear that these were sp2.

if anyone else has ordered in error, please say now before i send you something that is of no use to you

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Wibbly, 1 left
02RC, 1 pair
Duckhunter, 1 left
nunya, 1 pair
drifter83, 1 left
Quizzy, 1 pair
JNSD, 1 pair
1971allchaos, 1 pair
kwtoxman, one pair
Blueblur, 1 left
expatbrit, 1 pair
DannyBoy 1 pair
BadToTheBown 1 left
Zotto 1 pair
tarmacslider 2 left

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
OK guys thats it. if you missed the bus I'm sorry. maybe I'll do another run later if enough people are interested.

stay tuned for pms to each member sometime this week.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Wibbly, 1 left
02RC, 1 pair
Duckhunter, 1 left
nunya, 1 pair
drifter83, 1 left
Quizzy, 1 pair
JNSD, 1 pair
1971allchaos, 1 pair
kwtoxman, one pair
Blueblur, 1 left
expatbrit, 1 pair
DannyBoy 1 pair
BadToTheBown 1 left
Zotto 1 pair
tarmacslider 2 left
RC-Devil 1 pair

hopefully im not too late, i thought i had already posted here.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
sorry about the delay guys, i drew up an sp1 bracket, cut one out and will be posting it off to DHC today for proof of concept. if it works the way i expect it to i'm going to make sp1 brackets at the same time. so there will be a slight delay before i can produce the sp2 ones. i believe there was enough interest in the sp1 brackets to justify this decision.

thanks for being patient!

41 - 60 of 84 Posts