RC51 Forums banner

RC51 SP2 only SPAL fan mounts proof of concept and sign up thread!

22K views 89 replies 28 participants last post by  patrickkcase 
#1 · (Edited)
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST VERY CAREFULLY

so i now have proof of concept on these brackets. after a few trials i have a final design that allows the spal 5.2 inch fans to fit on the 51 as simply as possible. these will fit both sides without scoops, and the LEFT SIDE ONLY with scoops. the scoop for the right side is simply too small for the 5.2" spal fan.

before i go any further, i need to make a few disclaimers. these are non-negotiable and are absolutely take it or leave it.

1. these brackets are designed for the geometry of the SPAL 30103011 and 30103013 fans. i will not be making any brackets to suit the fan you have. if you don't have one of these two, i will not ensure that whatever it is you have will fit.

2. these brackets are sp2 only. i'm not going to do a run of sp1 brackets because for one i don't have an sp1, and for two the fan i have won't fit in a right side scoop, and three it would require a much more complicated bracket or the manufacture of additional parts

3. if you think you can design or build it better and want to tell me what i did wrong, your cries will fall on deaf ears. this is the design i have, the drawing is done, it is what it is.

so now that we've gone over that part, here's the proof of concept and pics of how it all goes together. i understand that the fan overlaps the front of the rad slightly, it's a very tight fit in this stupid bike, and to clear the frame spar on the right and the scoop on the left, this is just how it worked out. it should have minimal effect on cooling.

here are the two brackets.

this shows the orientation of the bracket on the right side rad

here it is with the fan attached. note that the bracket sits on top of the tabs on the bottom of the rad, and underneath the tab on the top of the rad. this helps the fan sit flatter.

here is a view from the top. the fan sits reasonably far off the rad, which i suspect will help with airflow when the fan isn't running, and also mitigates risk of rad damage from the fan itself

a view from the front. fits nicely in there

See less See more
#70 ·
ok here is the list

Wibbly, 1 left
02RC, 1 pair
Duckhunter, 1 left
nunya, 1 pair
drifter83, 1 left
Quizzy, 1 pair
JNSD, 1 pair
1971allchaos, 1 pair
kwtoxman, one pair
Blueblur, 1 left
expatbrit, 1 pair
DannyBoy 1 pair
BadToTheBown 1 left
Zotto 1 pair
tarmacslider 2 left
RC-Devil 1 pair
AdamThomas 1 pair
Scottm 1 pair

i'm not going to put the SP1 brackets on this list, but guys if you're interested keep your eyes peeled for a thread coming soon.

if ANYONE ELSE wants in, do it now, i'll be working my hardest to get these built ASAP

#72 ·
1. Wibbly, 1 left
2. Duckhunter, 1 left
3. drifter83, 1 left
4. Blueblur, 1 left
5. BadToTheBown 1 left
6,7. tarmacslider 2 left

1. 02RC, 1 pair
2. Quizzy, 1 pair
3. JNSD, 1 pair
4. 1971allchaos, 1 pair
5. kwtoxman, one pair
6. nunya, 1 pair
7. expatbrit, 1 pair
8. DannyBoy 1 pair
9. Zotto 1 pair
10. RC-Devil 1 pair
11. AdamThomas 1 pair
12. Scottm 1 pair
13. wengard 1 pair

just for easy reference, i added numbers just so i can stay on top of this. if it's feasible to do i'll produce more than the order for late comers to the party, but i can't be sure.

i'll be sure to post any and all updates so interested parties know what to expect

#76 ·
@BadToTheBown

it's evident in the pics.

the lower two mounts for the sp1 flare out and away from the rad instead of up and over the rad, and the geometry of the mounts is different as well. so i needed to revise the bracket to fit the mount geometry and then manufacture spacers to lift up the back two mounts. you can see the difference clearly if you look at the pics on the first page and the pics duckhunter posted

#80 ·
we're almost there guys! i have all the hardware and shipping stuff ready to rock, hopefully i'll have the brackets in hand this week.

the second i get them i'll be sending PMs to all parties who have expressed interest, and will be shipping as fast as i can.

i'll post a pic of all the brackets as proof i have them and an instructional thread with everyone tagged once we are ready to roll.

thanks for the patience!

i have also produced a few extra of each in case people are late to the party

#85 ·
Wibbly, new to the RC51 forum, but came across the Spal mounting bracket post. Do you still have both sides for a 2002 SP2. I saw you took PayPal, is that the only method or do you take Venmo as well now? How much are you asking now, and where do I send the money to? I'm in Parker CO 80134 Feel free to text or email as well. 303 204 8142 Patrick patrickkcase@gmail.com Thank you for your time and consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.