RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was out last night and me a 954 and a CBR1K decide to see what they'll do in a rough quarter, I jump them both out of the hole and the cbr comes bye like a rocket after the 1/8th but the 954 barely got bye when i missed 4th but then i pulled back around :confused: there was def something wrong with the 54 right? I made 131 to the tire so it doesn't have any crazy mods or anything but i always heard 954's were rockets?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
It was either the bike or the rider I would assume. On paper, the 954 is lighter and has more HP...so either the bike is not running 100%...or the rider didn't push the bike...those would be my assumptions.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
954 was the slowest of I4 litrebikes in its class. The 929 was even worse. I would definitely not call them rockets.

While a 954 and 929 is faster on paper, a re-geared sp2 is capable of 10.55 s 1/4 mile. And it takes skill to be fast in the 1/4 mile with anything capable of under 11 seconds. So I can see how an RC51 can compete with a good rider. The difference between a strong launch and an average launch can be 1 second in the 1/4 mile.

My 01 GSXR1K made 153 hp at the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Makes sense KW...which is probably why it came down to the rider...and we all know Ricky Bobby likes to go fast.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1398366708.050220.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
929's and 954's make alright drag bikes for beginners with the right mods. I got mine to turn a 9.64 in the quarter with a stock engine. But what the rc could do im not really sure. I didnt convert the rc into a drag bike for two reasons. 1. It handled way better than the 929 and 2. Who in there right mind would ever do such a thing!
Also when the 929 and 954 were released i believe they were competitive with the gsxr 750 (which was quicker) of those years so yeah...Not really rockets for the class considering the cc difference.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Reread your original post as I was having trouble understanding it all. I see now that you reeled him in when in 4th gear after him getting by earlier. I think that would be odd, unless he is much heavier than you. I do know the RC51 has superior aerodynamics that make a difference at high speed. And ringing out 4th is starting to get up there.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Change sprockets and kick their asses. Unless y'all are racing over 150 ... in shorts :confused: :eek:

gearingcommander.com shows that the stock RC should do 178 in 6th gear at 10,000 RPM (16-tooth front sprocket & 40-tooth rear). Changing to 15T front and 41T rear still gets you 155 at redline, but of course you're gonna get there faster.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Riding like that in shorts & t-shirt...Hmm... if a deer suddenly came out, or your buddy lost control of his bike on say a piece of dirt when braking and swerved into you the consequences could be horrific. You're probably worth more than a few thousand bucks right? I'd get some decent gear if I were you...;)
I've seen the effects of road rash. It ain't pretty and I daresay girls don't like it either. Big scars from skin grafts ain't cool... You can buy used leather gear cheaply. Wearing decent leather gear will enable you to ride better & safer.

954. I had one before the SP2 (8 years ago). I did the same sort of racing in a straight line against a tricked out SP1 between traffic lights on an empty road one morning up to speeds somewhere north of 100 mph before braking for the next light and so on...
They were pretty evenly matched. The SP doesn't feel much different in terms of power, but of course does in terms of delivery. And the SP doesn't sound like a turbo hair dryer.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Shorts and a t-shirt on the RC51, that's the squid uniform :eek::eek:

Why was the 919 so far behind, I rode with one before and he was not that far behind.

Reactions: bladeryda619

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Maybe reading the link above might help him realise what he's risking before it's too late...Not everybody thinks of all the possible scenarios before they happen and most people think they'll never fall off until they do. But you're right - his choice entirely. ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think I should probably keep my opinions to myself on this video. Save it for the track if you're going to be total bell ends.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Def a squid move by the both of us, i have an alpinestars jacket and boots but the shit talking got the better of me so we just jumped out there and went lol, I think street racing can be really dangerous but we kept it as safe as possible by blocking off the only road intersecting it, and had a guy watching for cars on the only driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
You never know man.
No one plans to crash when they do.
I'm not here to judge, but it definitely helps to be informed and prepared.

Quick story...
I'm from Florida, moved to Washington a while back.
Out here it's rare to see sportbike riders without gear.
Maybe has a little to do with curvey goodness here.

Anyway, on a ride with a couple friends we stopped of to take in the mountains and relax for a minute or two. Two guys rode past on CBRs. 1000RR and 600RR (for mental reference).
First thing we noticed was lack of gear.
Both wearing no jacket, skinny jeans, and topsiders (penny loafers).

We all three looked at each other, and instantly it was like the old racing days
Running to our bikes to gear up.
We would catch them!
And we did.

As I caught the guy on the 600RR, I was still maybe 20 yards behind him going through some twisties.
I gave him plenty of room, and kept my distance.

I watched his head, actually great full head turn to the left...
Until he decided to turn his head right at the ditch.
There he went. His buddy didn't notice, so my friends rode up and meet the other guy about a half mile down the road at a stop sign.
First thing they asked him, was 'where it's all your gear?'
"It's cool," he said, "we're from Florida."

That's great cause, being from Florida, the lack of gear didn't help your buddy back there.
The guy made it, but he wasn't as pretty as before.

I know the type of gear guys mostly wear. Just be careful.
You're an adult. I'm sure all of us will treat you as such.

Especially with your taste in motorcycles.
:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ever heard the phrase "Organ Donor"!? I whine when I scrape my finger! Imagine scraping the side of a leg, down to the bone! Or worse! Drag racing two wide on an open, and active, road, in the daytime, without proper gear. This is part of the reason that we are all going to have to carry a GPS enabled device telling the Insurance Company how you drive. To me this will be the end of motorcycling to me! At least on the street.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ever heard the phrase "Organ Donor"!? I whine when I scrape my finger! Imagine scraping the side of a leg, down to the bone! Or worse! Drag racing two wide on an open, and active, road, in the daytime, without proper gear. This is part of the reason that we are all going to have to carry a GPS enabled device telling the Insurance Company how you drive. To me this will be the end of motorcycling to me! At least on the street.
That would suck if we were forced to have GPS devices on our bikes for insurance purposes. But surely they could be disabled when necessary???

1 - 20 of 53 Posts