RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.
I fixed my friends RC and have had the pleasure of riding it for the last few days.. I am loving it. I am thinking about selling my VTR and buying an CBR1000.
Reason being. You can't buy a NEW RC. But I want something with a rock solid frame and great handling like the RC.

How do the two compare?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have a question.
I fixed my friends RC and have had the pleasure of riding it for the last few days.. I am loving it. I am thinking about selling my VTR and buying an CBR1000.
Reason being. You can't buy a NEW RC. But I want something with a rock solid frame and great handling like the RC.

How do the two compare?
What year CBR1000rr? The 04-07 are a very different vehicle from 08-on.

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Beyond two wheels, they are apples and oranges.
Both equally nice bikes, though in a different way.
It boils down to a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I don't think they can compare to anything.
Technology wise the RC51 is from a 750 I4 WSBK era and a liter V-Twins with everything that package includes.
The CBR 1000RR is from almost two generations later when the V-Twins were 1200cc with tones of tech on them in geometry, metal evolution, suspension etc.
That's been said, the I4 bikes has totally different riding feeling than the V-Twins due to their engine center of mass which affects the gyroscopic effect in the corner.
You need to take a test ride to see for yourself if that specific feeling is suitable for your needs and skills.
I was driving I4s my whole life and when I rode the RC51 that was the last time I wanted to ride an I4 again.
In the track, from what I hear, the CBR is much more drivable than the RC.
I mean you need to upgrade the RC quite a bit to ride like the fully stock CBR inside a track.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously. I am asking only about handling. Ridgidity.
I love how the frame is so planted. They had to translate that tech. into the CBR.
When you hit stutter bumps on the RC it is just rock solid.
I am asking about 2012 CBR'S

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
MSRP on 2012 CBR1000RR is $13,800 (and $11,500 for CBR600RR).
The 2012 CBR1000RR has different bodywork, wheels, forks, and shock.
Otherwise, fundamentally the same as the '08 model.

I'd suggest you find a good used '08+ rather than paying big payments for a '12.
Then use the coin you saved to add the extras of your choice (exhaust, wheel, Ohlins, whatever).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Having owned and ridden different CBR's, I can say it's really a matter of preference as to what you buy. Obviously the newer bikes "should" have newer technology in them. Also the CBR would have a higher top speed but I never cared about that.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The 51 feels like an old "muscle car" compared to the CBR 1000RR/Fireblade, which feels like a "big brother" of my old CBR 600RR - (see sig).

While I don't have track experience (is that what you are looking for - RE "handling" feedback?) and don't own a '12 model Fireblade, I will say that the Fireblade feels easier to handle and feels lighter than the 51, mostly due to its weight IMHO. I don't know the exact wet weights for each off hand, but I'm sure you can Google it.

Love them both. Perhaps you can find a local rider with a '12 Fireblade and check it out in person or visit a dealership that will (not likely LOL) allow a demo/test ride. Keep reading reviews as well. It seems most of what I've read indicate it's still similar to the '08 - '11s, but the reviewers are raving about the updated suspension. Other than that, not much of an overall "redesign." Some like the new dash/tach, others not so much - probably a personal preference.

Looking for a used '08 - '11 will save you some coin, can't go wrong there - more money leftover for mods to get the bike setup just the way YOU want it.

FWIW - the '11 models came from the factory with ZERO recalls. Read the following very carefully (and it's not a knock against the '08-'11 lineup).

There was an "engine whine/abnormal crankshaft noise" tech alert for the '08 - '10 models - click me.

Also watch for engine oil consumption - click me. Has been an issue on '08, '09, some '10s, and possibly '11s.

Haven't seen any oil issues with my '11 yet. Nor have I read about any actual bitching from '12 owners either. Not ALL of them suffer from oil consumption, monitor your oil level on a semi-regular basis and add as needed, especially if you run the engine hard in the upper RPMs quite frequently.

Take what you read online about the '08 - '11 models with a grain of salt and don't worry TOO much about all of the reported issues, monitor them, but don't "freak out."

FWIW I saw a local dealership post a pretty low price ($9499) for the new 2012 Fireblades. I'm sure their price doesn't include the typical "dealer fees" or sales tax (MI sales tax is 6%, which comes out to just a hair over $550 if taxing the $9499 price, making it a $10K bike out the door).

Keep in the mind that the dealer will probably add the usual "prep, assembly, etc" and other fees BEFORE they come to the final "taxable" sales price on the bike, so the final out-the-door price for a cash purchase would be closer to the $10,500 - $11,000 pricepoint (if not higher LOL). Still might be worth calling them to find out the real scoop if you are in the area or to use their price for comparison shopping purposes/dealership haggling:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcd/3119699602.html

Or, if you wait until later in the season you can probably find one for a low price in your neck of the woods or just wait it out until next year and buy one as a leftover model if you truly want "new" and don't want to purchase a used model.

YMMV & g'luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly, it has already been said. It comes down to preference. I recently just sold my 06 CBR 1KRR (less than 2 months ago) to buy an RC51. I sold my CBR and two days later found a gem RC51. Call me crazy but I heard one and fell in love the V-twin noise. I had never even ridden one but I took a chance.

Difference between them? The RC51 is a stop light to stop light monster! Launching it from a dead stop is a blast. 0-100mph the RC51 to me feels faster than my old CBR. After that, there is no doubt the top end of a CBR will blow the RC51 out of the water. I used to be all about "riding fast in a straight line" in my earlier days of riding but hell a monkey can go fast straight. I've learned curves are not only fun in women but also with bikes.

I took a long hard look at what I wanted in a bike and honestly I may go back to the inline-4. Right now the RC keeps me happy and today I had my first real "wow" with it. Coming out of a round-a-bout I whacked the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. It's really tough to get that affect on an I4 with stock gearing.

Its apples to oranges. Both have pros and cons. Just depends on what you want. One thing I have noticed already is people who actually know what they are always give you compliments. People who have no idea what they are always ask about them. I had one guy ask me if it was a 600 so I replied yes and left him eating exhaust fumes on his ZRX1100 at a stop light.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honestly, it has already been said. It comes down to preference. I recently just sold my 06 CBR 1KRR (less than 2 months ago) to buy an RC51. Call me crazy but I heard one and fell in love the V-twin noise. I had never even ridden one but I took a chance. I sold my CBR and two days later found a gem RC51.

Difference between them? The RC51 is a stop light to stop light monster! Launching it from a dead stop is a blast. 0-100mph the RC51 to me feels faster than my old CBR. After that, there is no doubt the top end of a CBR will blow the RC51 out of the water. I used to be all about "riding fast in a straight line" in my earlier days of riding but hell a monkey can go fast straight. I've learned curves are not only fun in women but also with bikes.

I took a long hard look at what I wanted in a bike and honestly I may go back to the inline-4. Right now the RC keeps me happy and today I had my first real "wow" with it. Coming out of a round-a-bout I whacked the throttle and the front wheel came off the ground. It's really tough to get that affect on an I4 with stock gearing.

Its apples to oranges. Both have pros and cons. Just depends on what you want. One thing I have noticed already is people who actually know what they are always compliment you. People who have no idea what they are always ask about them. I had one guy ask me if it was a 600 so I replied yes and left him eating exhaust fumes on his ZRX1100 at a stop light.
None of that makes any sense unless maybe the gearing has been changed on the RC51 to a much lower ratio altering the rate of acceleration.

Whether stoplight to stoplight or topend runs the 1000RR makes more horsepower and more torque over a wider range of rpms than the RC51 does not to mention that the 1000RR is about 40lbs lighter than the RC is...

·
Registered
2 Posts
None of that makes any sense unless maybe the gearing has been changed on the RC51 to a much lower ratio altering the rate of acceleration.

Whether stoplight to stoplight or topend runs the 1000RR makes more horsepower and more torque over a wider range of rpms than the RC51 does not to mention that the 1000RR is about 40lbs lighter than the RC is...
My CBR was stock gearing and my RC51 is -1/+2. Notice the word "feels." Are you saying you can launch an RC51 the same as a 1000RR? The RC51 can take off with little to no feathering of the clutch where the CBR you have to feather it until hp/torque picks up.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My CBR was stock gearing and my RC51 is -1/+2. Notice the word "feels." Are you saying you can launch an RC51 the same as a 1000RR? The RC51 can take off with little to no feathering of the clutch where the CBR you have to feather it until hp/torque picks up.

Feathering the clutch to get a good launch is just part of proper riding technique and my 1000RR's have always stomped my RC51 into the ground in every performance aspect. Even with good riders on an RC51 I can easily pull up along side them and shadow them until I am bored then just ride off with the twist of the throttle.

It's just not a contest to put early 2000's technology designed to compete with 750cc inline engines up against mid 2000's technology inside a 1000cc package.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have both 09 CBR1000RR and 05 RC51, along with 98 900RR and a 97 1100XX. I will say this.. they all are hella fast they all pull hard, hell with my 1100XX -1/+1 I can throttle it up in 3rd gear. Comparing the 1000RR to the RVT is like apples and oranges. As stated the RC was developed to compete with 750CC I4's and does hold its own against them but its a heavy girl. Even if you drop the 50-60lbs to get it competitive your still down 20+hp. So a highly modified RC maybe compete against a stock 1000RR but doubt it will still take it. In the end who cares some people like both apples and oranges!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Beyond two wheels, they are apples and oranges.
Both equally nice bikes, though in a different way.
It boils down to a personal preference.
^+1...I've owned both, way different.

MSRP on 2012 CBR1000RR is $13,800 (and $11,500 for CBR600RR).
The 2012 CBR1000RR has different bodywork, wheels, forks, and shock.
Otherwise, fundamentally the same as the '08 model.

I'd suggest you find a good used '08+ rather than paying big payments for a '12.
Then use the coin you saved to add the extras of your choice (exhaust, wheel, Ohlins, whatever).
I like the '06~07 years the best and they are still easy on the wallet with plenty of goodies still available.;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I took the RC for a serious ride on some corners.
I see that is is a bit heavy in the steering, but not too bad. It has a damper, but It was set very low.
I did like the way it handled. I did a few power slides around corners. That was fun.
I would really like to be able to power wheelie out of corners.
Can the RC do this? Can the CBR do this?
I really like V-twin power by the way. I love the torque, I love the vibs, I love the personality.
How dissapointed will I be with an inline 4?

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
coughbullshitcough

People that can power slide bikes don't have to ask what the differences are between various models.
I see you too are allergic to bullshit.....better get to a bottle of gin and quick!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts