RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please compare the CBR1000RR and RC51.

Please tell me which is quicker, which is more stable at high speed, which has more responsive steering and handling, etc. Any aspect of performance, comfort, ride-ability, heck even fuel economy.

As for the looks, you can tell me which one you think looks better if you want to, but I already have my own opinion (if it wasn't for the Repsol replica paint and graphics, I wouldn't even look at the CBR1000RR; I like dual exhaust and big twin headlamps, personally).

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've ridden both... own an '05 RR, then bought an '08...and rode the '08 to a test ride of the RC51 for a friend. What suprised me about the RC51 was the light handling feel, but not as light feeling as my '08...definitely lighter feel than my '05...

What surpised me just as much was how gutless the RC51 felt after a 1000RR...but what do you expect with such a huge HP advantage. The torque was nice, but it wouldn't even loft the front wheel under full power while I can't keep the front down on the RR.

The sounds of the RC51 are very nice, but so are the sounds of an RR with a nice pipe...

I know some owners of RC51s who hated certain aspects of the bike...hot radiators at your knees, harsh riding position at the bars...hard on the wrists... but my buddy ended up buying the one I tested for him and riding it 1200 miles home to Canada...madman...and he was hurtin'!!!

I did enjoy riding it before he came to pick it up, but I really like my RR better for the amazing top speed stability, the wicked midrange torque and the nimble 600 like handling...and if a Repsol stirs your soul...GET IT! ABS if you live where it's available on the Repsol...not in the US...:(

·
Registered
863 Posts
are you comparing an 09RR to an 06RC? If so theres no comparison. Are you comparing an 06RR to an 06RC? If so there is no comparison. Simple as that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
are you comparing an 09RR to an 06RC? If so theres no comparison. Are you comparing an 06RR to an 06RC? If so there is no comparison. Simple as that.
And if you compare an 06RR to an 09RR...no comparison...:D

He's looking for some specific information that nobody else seems to be able to provide...and since I've ridden all of the above...I'm happy to offer my opinion...;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Your opinions are welcomed :)

I've ridden all of the above and I can simply say that the 51 is a pure confidence builder. Its stable at speed and a dream in the corners but in pure flat out physical ability its not even in the same league as a 1000RR. They're just 2 completely different animals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't speak as an owner of the 1KRR but do own both the 600RR and the RC-51. Again, no comparison... The newer bikes win. And the post '03 RC-51 are not new.

The RC-51 is very unique as far as Honda's go. Remember, it's early 90's tech for Honda. The inline 4's represent Honda's latest goodies. But, if you are thinking of buying an RC-51, I say buy it because there will be no more. I'm not selling mine, but will be selling my RR one day. :)

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Yeah it's impossible to compare old and new on even footings.
A P-51 Mustang is a hell of an plane, but compared to an F-16 it's not even close.
But eventually the F-16 will be retired in favor of the F-35 and then people will talk of the F-16 in the same terms. A good plane, but not as good as the current one.

Such is life in a very fast paced world where today's high-tech superbike is yesterday's museum piece.
I'm sure one day the '09 1000RR will be referred to much the same way when compared to the new 2015 1000RR.

·
Registered
389 Posts
good for you on doing your homework. hopefully you'll get the right bike for you.

rr:
crazy fast
power power power
light
handles
stable
current generation is ugly, pre 08 look good
character is all about performance
exhaust note? what exhaust note?
dime a dozen, they're everywhere
won't hold value
cam chain tensioner - reliable? i know some hondas have shaky ccts
steering damper included
three spoke wheels are easy to clean

rc:
pretty fast
not the most powerful
doesn't feel as heavy as it is
handles well
stable
good looking
lots and lots of good all 'round character
put on a pipe and enjoy the v twin music
exclusive
holds value
gear driven cams
steering damper not included
six spoke wheels are a pia to clean

no matter what we say here though, you have got to get what turns your crank. good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of the above comments are right on. You don't buy an RC51 because you think that it can compete with any of the current litrebikes. Or some non-current ones either. I have a piped/tuned '04 ZX10R with upgraded brakes (radial MC, braided lines) and it too is in a different league from the RC.

Just remember that anyone who regularly uses all the ability of a 10R/1000RR/Gixxer 1k/R1 on the street is courting the great beyond. One of the reasons that I bought my RC was to lose the temptation to chase the squids (OK, braver riders).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The performance advantages of the CBR1000RR, in all honesty, are probably not going to influence my decision. Of course, I had to ask about that, just to see what it was; I suspected the RR would be quicker and faster, even comparing same-year bikes, let alone a brand-new one to the last RC-51.

The truth is that for me, any modern bike is going to be fast enough, maybe more than fast enough. This may sound strange, but what attracts me to these types of motorcycles isn't the performance, but the looks.

The last motorcycle I rode was, I believe, a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E. That was fast enough. Of course any of these bikes we're talking about will be way faster than that.

I would probably be happy with a bike that looked exactly like an RC-51 or CBR1000RR but had a modern 500cc motor (no doubt it would still be much quicker than that 1992 Ninja was). But I don't like the looks of any modern bike with smaller motors, and as I said, for me, it's the looks.

In general, I don't really like the looks of the CBR1000RR. I haven't really liked the looks of any of the CBRs since the 900 that had the nearly vertical fork. HOWEVER, there's something about the Repsol paint and graphics that changes the way the bike looks to me enough for me to lust after it. Perhaps it is the Dr. House aspect (big fan of the show and character; I wish I could be as big of a smart-ass as he is!).

I like twin round headlamps and dual exhaust. In fact, if there was a way to convert the CBR1000RR to dual exhaust, one can on either side, I'd do it, even if it meant a slight reduction in power, just for the looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts