RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my worst nightmare happened 3 weeks ago. :frown2: I went to a meeting 50 miles away and it ran little late, plus the heat index was still up there when I left that night. On the way home I came over a hump on the road and had an Armadillo RIGHT THERE on the road with no reaction time. I hit it head on and to my surprise the bike didn't even do a headshake. :smile2: I thought WOW. That gave me a scare for sure because I always thought an Armadillo would be hell to get over without wrecking. But I did like I learned years ago...hit something square, cause if your front tire is turned at all, it will make the front end go where you maybe can't get it back.

Well, another 10 miles up the road, I am running brights and came around a corner, seeing the road was clear ahead I felt good, until suddenly I see a deer's body airborne right in front of me with maybe 1/100th of a second reaction time (which was not even enough time to duck). The deer had been running full out across a field and jumped a fence 20' to the right of me and would have clear both lanes if I hadn't intersected it. I hit it perfectly in the middle and all I remember is it hitting the front and in a split second it came over the windshield and hit me right in the visor (which knocked me out), then went flying over the top of me. The bike went to the left into a ditch and I was thrown some 20 yards into the woods on the left. I was out for about a half hour till someone came by and asked where I was.

The amazing thing was that I had no blood loss and no broken bones, but just busted up to no end with some internal bleeding. I wished I had my full race leathers on, but I just had a leather jacket on and jeans. After 3 weeks I am finally barely able to walk....and start working on the bike.:surprise: Ok...I know, the important thing is....how is the bike? HAHA. I will put some pics on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro. I am healing and getting the bike back together. My biggest problem is that the sub tail got broken and trying to fix that myself, but I'll figure something out. My biggest worry was the forks, but they seem to be fine. I even have grass stuck in my front rim between the rubber and the rim.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Extrapolator, The best thing is that I didn't suffer any brain injuries. My helmet sure looks like hell though. Visor flew off on impact and I never did find my glasses.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank GB. Yes it was a big hit. I was literally knocked into next week...or was that last week.....lol, I can't remember.

I was having problems with typing and spelling, but am now back on track.

I pretty much have the front of the bike almost together after ordering some used parts. She will never be the same again, but then I won't let that stop me from riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pfff, that is bizar my friend. Your rc is already going in the right direction, looks good.

I crashed in 2014 and rebuild my rc better than it was (which I didn't expected). Every time I drive it, I am as happy as a young child with a lollypop. So I think that when you are finished with rebuilding, you are driving your bike again with a big smile on your face. Keep up the good work :wink2:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GB, my RC was already built perfect, so now I have to step back a bit. I am not going to put a lot of money into it. So far with a new windshield, top fairing, front fender, and rear foot brake assembly, I am still under $200.00.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank GB. Yes it was a big hit. I was literally knocked into next week...or was that last week.....lol, I can't remember.

I pretty much have the front of the bike almost together after ordering some used parts. She will never be the same again, but then I won't let that stop me from riding.
I have a stock front fender 2005 black model if you need one

·
Registered
237 Posts

That's quite a transformation already, i was sure it was a complete knacker. Good on you for the work you've done to it already

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jesus man, glad you are okay! That could have ended way differently... Good to hear that you are on the mend and not shell shocked. Couple years ago I was in a bad head on collision in my car that broke my leg. Once I was able to get into a car again, even as a passenger, it was a white knuckle ride.

A couple weeks ago I had a similar incident on my RC. I was on my way to work at 1030 at night when I saw a shadow on my left in a full sprint. I was able to stop in time, but was close enough to her to hear her hooves on the pavement. It was scary as hell at the time, but all ended well. I can only imagine what you went through...

Joe

·
Registered
420 Posts
Man grad you are okay.
If you are trying to do it on the cheap you may consider some of the aftermarket farings...

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Been there but without the crash, I was lucky. Sorry man, PM your way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those darn Momma saying....lol.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bro. I usually don't crash, but this one was right there, like a sucker punch out of nowhere. No more night riding for me. I live where there are curves upon curves, and at night...deer upon dear....not a good combo.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks man. I can duck pretty quick, but not that quick. This one would have been a challenge for even the FLASH.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts