RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unhooked my electronics in my tail section to get it painted. I shrunk the tail to 3/4 size and had to modify the subframe. When I hooked it all back it will turn over, but will not start. I can not hear my fuel pump. It worked great before I unhooked everything. The bike looks awesome, but is a big boat anchor. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will not start.

No, the fuel pump does not prime. I can hear, what I assume, is the relay clicking and making contact, but the fuel pump does not energize. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a bank angle senser?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The bank angle sensor is a safety device that kills the fuel pump if the bike is tilted beyond a certain angle. Mainly if the bike falls over.
This will prevent the engine from running and causing harm to rider or engine.

The three main components (discounting fuses) that allow the fuel pump to run are:
1) Bank angle sensor (it's that black object at the front lower part of the rear fender). That allows actuation of...
2) The Bank Angle Sensor Relay. When actuated by the BAS allows power to...
3) The Fuel Cutout Relay. That then powers the fuel pump.

You may have actuation of the BAS relay but no actuation of the fuel cutout relay.
You can remove the relay and use a meter to measure continuity across the contacts using some jumper leads to energize the relay coils.

For the Bank Angle Sensor:
The relay coil is: Red/Orange and Black
The contacts are: Red/White and Black/White

For the Fuel Cutout Relay:
The relay coil is: Black/White and Brown/Black
The contacts are: Brown and Black/White

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still dead in the water.

Still not able to get bike started. I was able to get fuel pump to prime, but I have no fire on the plugs. Any suggestions? I checked the fuses I could find and they all checked ok.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check the CDI Box

A few weeks ago my RC just quit and like yours she would not start, I had plenty of fuel but no spark nor any voltage to the coils, It turned out to be the CDI box, AKA (Converter Unit) that sits in the right rear section of the bike, its Grey in color, I'm not saying that's your problem but by reading allot of posts it was obvious to me that there seems to be an issue with these boxes, good luck and keep us posted....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Is there any way to check it without replacing the part? I tried checking across the pins with a meter, but they were all open.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The service manual doesn't mention any troubleshooting steps for converter unit.
You might be able to find a similar unit from the guys who've been parting out their bikes recently.

However, if the pulse generator is shot, there will be no spark as well. The pulse generator is the sensor that sends the signal to the converter unit to trigger the spark.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Haha !!! Good one

One of these days me and you are gonna meet and its gonna be the perfect friendship you wait and see :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hope this helps

You will need a peak voltage meter to check the ignition pulse generator. You can check it at either the red connector behind the radiator overflow tank or you can check it at the computer harness. It's the yellow wire on the right plug, you can connect one lead to the wire and the other to ground. Crank the engine, make sure that you have the transmission in neutral and you should see at least 0.7 volts or higher. The pulse generator on my bike was showing 12.5 volts, if I remember correctly, but still no spark. I ended up taking it to my local Honda shop and they replaced the converter box, but you will need the peak voltage meter or an adaptor, because the first time I tried with my fluke meter set to hi/low, it would not detect any voltage. So, I ended up borrowing an adapter and finally got a reading. Anyway good luck man.
Any other questions just ask. :D
PS-Here is a link to the service manual, it will come in handy. Look in section 17 in the manual.
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

·
Registered
19 Posts
All good info. I am currently in the process of tearing my bike apart for some much needed maint and a few choice upgrades. Larry, you just saved me over $60 since I no longer need to buy the service manual. You are the man!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That kind of makes sense LARRY G because the same thing happened to me on the high way but couldn't figure out what was wrong because everything else checked good. When i took her down the local honda shop, they also suspected it was the Converter unit which was ordered for testing. Therefore still waiting for that to get tested, hope she starts...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey
Am new to this site but it seems so helpfull. Am wondering if i could get a used cdi box (Converter) for a 2005 honda rc1 for sale?
I will be gratefull for any replies..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey
Am new to this site but it seems so helpfull. Am wondering if i could get a used cdi box (Converter) for a 2005 honda rc1 for sale?
I will be gratefull for any replies..
I would suggest looking on Flea Bay, I have seen the CDI units for sale regularly and at a good price, just keep in mind that you are buying a used ELECTRONIC part.... so no telling what you'll get.:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts