RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Im new to this forum but not to furoms in general. I have been on 600rr.net for a year or so. Having said that, obviously, I own a 600rr.
I absoloutely love the rc51 and always have. I saw one at a local car dealer in passing and called to ask about a trade. I own my 09 Phoenix edition and the dealer said he would work out a trade, no problem. Well...
I went to the dealership and inspected the bike. It was immediately obvious that she ad been laid down, but it looks like something minor. Light scuffing on the lower fairing and the windscreen brace is slightly bent. Also, the front indicators are missing and she needs new rubber. he only other little thing I noticed is that the cowl that covers the back seat was loose but I can fix that. Other than that the bike is straight and started up on the first attempt, with a little "struggle" but on the videos I have seen of the RC51s they also started slow. Sounded great with the aftermarket exhaust, but the mid-pipe has some surface rust.
I mentioned my concerns with the dealer and he offered a test ride and said that since it had the issues I mentioned, he would also give me some cash.
Final deal I worked out was his '03 rc51 w/20k miles and 1800$ for my 09 cbr600rr with 7500 miles.
I know It sounds like a bad deal for me since I ma essentially downgrading as far as year and mileage is concerned, but something is telling me that I am getting a decent deal. Am I just "starstruck"?
Also, I did a search and didnt specifically find an answer to this, but I want to know if there are any common issues with the rc51 that I need to look for? ie: bolts that loosen, common electrical issues etc.?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers!
-UNDRCOVR

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I say dont do it. You could sell your bike outright and buy a RC in better condition. In missouri a car dealership cant even sell a car without it passing inspection. Without the front blinkers it doesnt... So you know parts are not cheap for this bike and as available. I paid $3600 for mine and have seen mint condition Rcs for 5k so dont "hurry up and fuck up" so to speak

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. The main reason I am considering it is because I only paid 5k for mine with 26, thats (twenty-six miles) on it. I was thinking that I could take the 1800 and make whatever repairs I need and still have some $ left over. I could replace the entire body, signals and still make a few mods that I want. It already has slip ons and grips and a windscreen. That is fueled by the fact that ive outgrown my 600. I am 6'4" 230lbs.
Am I dreaming? As you said, I really dont want to "Hurry up and fuck up".

I think I can take the $ and basically restore it, but I dont know that much about them. Hence, I need advice from this forum.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
The rc was intentionally made to compete against 750's an ducatis of its time, your CBR c is way more advanced. If you really want the Bike sell it yourself for a better value. From the sounds of it the rc looks like it was neglected from common maintenance. Can the dealer provide maintance records? If your trying to upgrade for the purpose of performances this is probably not what your looking for....but if you want it that bad then go for it. Take off the fairings and look for and corrosion under the plastics under the radiators an such before your off, check how old the tires are, if more than 5yrs toss em for what you got on the CBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires definately need replaced. I have arranged for my dealership to check it out before I buy it, and the dealer agreed that if I left my bike with him that I could take it for a run. I have been looking at the RCs for sale and for the year and mileage, most are around 5k. The way I am looking at it is that I have 5k invested, so with the cash back I will only be paying 3200 for the RC, and have 1800 to invest back into it. Tires, maybe brake pads, new turn signals and a new windscreen mount woul have her looking sharp...other than the minor scoff on the faring.

I guess I need someone to talk me out of it and play devils advocate, and I need someone to tell my why I should make the trade. I know that my 09 is more advanced etc, and I dont do track days so I really dont max out my motorcycles potential, so the performance isnt an issue. I have read that the RC cant be beat in corners and I just love the V twin sound. My co-worker has a '12 cbr1000 and said he would trade it for his old RC today if the oppertunity arose and that, combined with the fact that I think they are sexy and just relly want one, is one of the main reasons I am even considering it.

Again, thank guys for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
If the bike was totally clean I'd say fine, but it's not. As for value, you're still going backwards with the $1800 thrown in (I checked my Cdn Bluebook and you're beating yourself out of close to 2 grand if your CBR is in any kind of condition beyond average) . Especially considering the repairs (as mentioned it won't pass inspection so you likely can't title it) it visibly needs and you haven't got the history on it or the fairings off yet. It's your call but I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
the thing with rc51's is that when your near them they have (IMO) a very powerfull presence that sucks you right in. it isnt a fireblade, ninja, 600rr or a gsxr that you see all over the place, theyre rare (they are over here anyway). but the bad thing about this is they can cause you to fall in love very quickly and trade your own wife in for one. id take a step back from this and take a deep breath. the other guys are right, with the 600rr you can take your time and wait for a good rc51 with low miles at a dealer to come along. if you go down this road you could end up in a bit of trouble with some regrets.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'll say take your time and fine one, your better off selling your bike straight out and then find an RC51. Believe me when I say, I was the same way. I bought an 01 Rc51 off ebay without doing any research and I paid dearly for it. Come to find out after I bought it and joined the forum, it had ebay fairing, FPR problem weak battery, exhaust gasket worn and need a tuneup. The cost was good enough to buy a nice RC even today. Take you time the RC aren't going anywhere, no hurry

·
Registered
198 Posts
Don't, do it! Look around. You can find some near perfect ones for cheap!4200 and less. I got mine this year, 2000 totally stock and totally mint 3000 miles, for $5500. Its so clean and new I dare not molest it with any mods. Looking for another one thats not so cherry that I can do things to. Good luck searching but have patience they are out there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe not so much a sharp, "DONT DO IT" ... but perhaps take it back to the table with some updated pricing. With the additional needs, etc, make him a one-time final educated offer. It could still be worth it.

-RuZ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, Gentlemen, you were right. I decided not to make the trade and was telling a buddy of mine at work about it and he threw me a number of a guy who has his for sale. I just went and talked to the guy. Story is, the guy is older (60s?) and said he had loaned money to his son often and one day the son pulls up on an '04 RC. Basically the Dad repo'd it for amount past due.

Anyhow, the bike is a gem. Tiny scratch on right side. Looks like it fell over maybe, but the scuff definitely doesn't look deep enough to say it was a crashed motorcycle. Brand new rubber front and back, "aftermarket computer" (I didn't see it but I am assuming a PC), Yoshi titanium dual exhaust, windscreen, what looks like ASV shorty levers. All it needs is (possibly) rear pads. Bike has 16k on it and the guy said I can have it for 4k, and that's prior to me walking in there with cash money and negotiating any.
The dealership is offering me 5k for my 600rr which is only 500$ less than I paid for it.
In a nutshell, my bike for the RC and a grand. This sounds much better to me and much easier to justify since I wont have to do any repairs at all.

Again, what do you experienced RC owners think of this deal? I'm likign it and thinking its a birthday gift to myself.

Thanks folks. Cheers!
-UNDRCOVR

EDIT: Also need to mention that the bike also has a factory rear seat still in plastic and a hotbodies undertail painted and installed. I think the exhaust was rs-5 but I cant find info on nit, so maybe the rs-3? I know it was Yosh, titanium and oval with flanged outlets.

·
Registered
126 Posts
sounds like a deal except you seem to still want to unload the rr for way less than you could get for it... i guess i dont understand why you are so willing to throw away $1-2k ?!? regardless of what you gave for the rr

·
Registered
126 Posts
surely you have checked kbb on your bike. it seems like you dont know what its worth.

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/honda/cbr600rr/2009-honda-cbr600rr/suggestedretailvalue/?categoryname=streetsport

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2009/Honda/CBR600RR9-599cc/Standard-Equipment

regardless of what you paid or what you think it should be worth there is an actual value attached to what you have. maximize your "investment" and get the most out of it.

i think i would rather sell it, and be shopping with $7k. and i wouldnt be looking for an rc-51...

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
going from a cbr600rr to an rc51 is a good upgrade, but dont loose sight of the cbr's value in the process. it should be a like for like swap moneywise. you shouldnt have to loose a grand in this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not losing, I'm gaining a grand. I will only have 4K invested in the RC. Another factor is that just like everybody else right now, the economy is taking it's toll and the extra cash will come in handy, especially with Christmas coming up. I have a total of 5600$ in my cbr and that's taxes, f/e kit and everything. I am going to have 4k tied up in the RC and it already has all the mods I would want and don't have the money to do them anyway, so I get the money I'll save with the mods plus the cash. The only thing I am planning on doing, and I'll order them as soon as I get the RC, is order a set of stomp grips. I will never own another motorcycle that doesn't have them. They literally changed everything for me when it comes to riding. I may replace the grips too but that's such a small thing it's hardly worth mentioning.
I am a few short hours away from owning my first RC. As soon as I can get away from my business meeting it's on.
Thanks for all the insight, pro and con, and I'm sure I'll be asking you fine folks more questions in the future. Until then..
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If I may, how did you only wind up paying $5000 for a '09 600RR with only 26 miles on the odo? That's a VERY relatively low price (good for you, that is). Was it sold as a demo bike or as a used unit or was it a salvage/rebuilt title or something? Just curious...

With 16K miles on that '04 RC, be sure to go over it thoroughly. Perhaps consider asking the old man if you can uninstall some of the plastics to take a peek at what's underneath. It's a simple job to remove the fairings on these RCs (IMHO).

Check the usual items that one should pay attention to during a used motorcycle purchase and don't get emotionally attached to it before completing the deal. Don't be afraid to walk away if you don't feel it's not right once you see it in person.

That RC posted for sale in TN looks like a nice minty example...wow!

YMMV, g'luck and all that stuff... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts