RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re:stripping rim

What can I use to strip the factory paint from the 6 spoke RC rim??
I want to hand polish them myself, got lots a time on my hands.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I'd hire it out to a media-blaster. We have lots of those around here, so competition keeps the price pretty low. I could get both rims done for under $100.
I guess you could try a stripper, but I've had bad luck with that messy stuff.
Sanding would take forever - I don't think you have that much time.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
glass beads or a very fine grit sand paper.

Before I have wheels powder coated, shot blasting with glass beads is the quickest way.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
glass beads or a very fine grit sand paper.

Before I have wheels powder coated, shot blasting with glass beads is the quickest way.
I've prepped several Motorcycle wheels for paint. Trust me, there's no way in sam-hell anyone wants to sand a rim with our spokes by hand all the way to bare metal.
I guess that's what Rickman wants: to the metal?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
He is going to polish them.....a fine grit sand paper if not sand blasting helps to get the small detailed areas. Yes, that would be down to the metal.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've prepped several Motorcycle wheels for paint. Trust me, there's no way in sam-hell anyone wants to sand a rim with our spokes by hand all the way to bare metal.
I guess that's what Rickman wants: to the metal?
Yes it is and you have no idea about when I want something done a certain way what I am willing to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd hire it out to a media-blaster. We have lots of those around here, so competition keeps the price pretty low. I could get both rims done for under $100.
I guess you could try a stripper, but I've had bad luck with that messy stuff.
Sanding would take forever - I don't think you have that much time.
HA, you bet your ass I do!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I can't seem to find the pictures but I had a '99 F4. After blasting the shitty paint off I found a dime sized casting problem called a "shrink" on the rear wheel. This is where I broke out the sand paper to blend this area. That is why I mentioned sand paper....maybe one day I will run into that picture and post up:rolleyes: It sent it to Honda and gave them a bit of shit over it.:D

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
use aircraft paint stripper , make sure the wheels are warm , then use 4/0 wool and rouge or Mothers polish and RUB , very easy at least the lips......Any AutoZone will have the stripper ....mask well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts