RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch, another tyre question.The time has come to put new hoops on the SP1.The standard rear size is 190/50 (thats what the tyre sticker on swingarm reads).
My question is will a 190/55 profile change the handling a lot?
I want to put on BT016's, the shop is having a special and the 190/55 is $80 cheaper than the 190/50.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
For me, the 190/55 had a large effect on handling.
Some time ago, I ordered a replacement 190/55 but got mis-shipped 190/50 instead.
I figured I'd just install the 190/50 and run it anyways.
I found the bike just didn't want to roll into turns like it used to with the 190/55.
The one issue is, since the 190/55 is a taller tire, it can get quite close to the swingarm on SP1s.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt think clearance would be a problem, but I am running 15/40 sprockets with standard chain length so the axle is set back in the swing arm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As subsailor mentioned, the SP1 swingarm must have less clearance than the SP2.I am thinking of changing to a SP2 swingarm, but I got the 190/55 and it fits no problem with my 15/40 sprockets, even with the standard 16/40 it looks like it will fit, but with full tread, it looks to only have about 10mm clearance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have an 190/55 ( Conti Attacks) on a Sp1, it makes the bike turn in quicker but I dont like the way the front tire reacts to the rear. ( hard to explain but I will try) Its like went quick roll ins the rear tire falls in fast and the front tire is trying to keep up. Its a factory size front tire, any ideals on why. I haven't done track days yet but I been riding motorcycle since I was 8 years old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hm

sounds like no fun.... i havent tried anything but the dunlops and they are so good i never switched... i know the bike will steer better after you flick it in if the throttle is open, not wayyyy open, but i learned from supermoto that if i open the throttle just SLIGHTLY where the top of the chain is tight even while riding the rear brake a bit not to run too wide, then the steering becomes crisp and it just goes wherever you want it to... the feeling you describe reminds me of the heavy feeling i get when the throttle is shut off and the motor braking makes it feel heavy and slow turning... just my 2 cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts