RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my MOT coming up in a couple of months, the only thing thatll be a prob with my rc is that the brake light wont come on when using the rear brake.

b4 i go and but a complete new brake switch (which i dont want to so) what can i try troubleshooting wise for this before going for the new part?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
If you have no brake lights I'd think you'd adjust the switch up (spring/lever actuated) a bit tighten it down and give it a try.

If you have a meter to check the switch itself wouldn't hurt.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
With the meter on omhs or on the buzzer setting put the lead ends in the brake light connector (disconnected) of course and push the pedal down. There should be movement on the digital reading or a buzzing noise.

If so adjust the switch lock the jam nut and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
To test it - just switch on the ignition - pull the switch up off it's holder. Assuming the spring's connected if it doesn't make your brake lights come on, then it's probably a bad connection along the way or a faulty brake switch. I use a pressure switch on mine rather than a mechanical one.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the connector that goes into the plastic adjuster taken off, the little copper prongs were pretty messy, cleaned them up as best i could (didnt have all my equipment with me at the time), one of the little prongs still looked pretty bad, but got it all back together, used the plastic adjuster and hey presto, got rear brake lights, well, one at least.

could the reason that the other one isnt working be cos one of the prongs is still at bit dirty?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
got the connector that goes into the plastic adjuster taken off, the little copper prongs were pretty messy, cleaned them up as best i could (didnt have all my equipment with me at the time), one of the little prongs still looked pretty bad, but got it all back together, used the plastic adjuster and hey presto, got rear brake lights, well, one at least.

could the reason that the other one isnt working be cos one of the prongs is still at bit dirty?
Not from that point in the wiring, you only have two wires coming out of the switch, it further up the circuit more than likely.

You probably want to get a tube of dielectric grease while cleaning these connections and apply a good coating.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah that was part of the equipment i was referring to. love my copper, general and dielectric greases :)

will probably have to have a rummage around in the tail section to find the wire/connector responsible for the prob

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
yeah that was part of the equipment i was referring to. love my copper, general and dielectric greases :)

will probably have to have a rummage around in the tail section to find the wire/connector responsible for the prob
Start with testing the bulb and work your way back;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts