RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad for not being specific. DanSP1 has answered my question.

I did extend caliper pistons enough to not let them come all the way out in order to clean them. The thing is, I didn't notice if there was slight play after reassmbly, or if the rear caliper must be rigid.

Thanks a lot

· Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The Difference between a rear OEM caliper and underslung caliper / quite a few advantages to using this underslungnot (just the looks)

firstly the OEM caliper is a floating unit , and very grabby , so no real rear wheel control just basically an on/off switch with not much in between (most race bikes now have very little floating effect in the rear discs for this reason-fully floating discs have 2 braking actions-the initial contact/alignment and then the braking action-better to eliminate as much of that as possible with the rear-hence even the brembo front T-drive discs and galespeed etc don't have much or any lateral movement, and most race rear rotors are basically fixed

with the brembo fixed calipers you will be able to control the rear wheel/braking a lot more (thats was race rear calipers are designed for,not for braking force, but rear wheel control with lots of feel and modulation)

secondly rear wheel changes will be easier, and these set ups are much lighter than the std floating caliper with the big cast mount etc)

cooling is also improved, as well as lowered COG (maybe minimal, but everything helps) d one on a underslung bracket /

· Registered
8 Posts
the key info is the OEM braking system is designed to work with 15.8 mm diam m/c coupled with a single floating piston 38mm (for sure on CBRs , not sure on SP but could be same). So when you upgrade to 2x 34mm or 2 x 32mm rear caliper with the same 15.8mm m/c you are quite far from the original Brembo system which is designed to work with 12mm m/c... So has anyone gone through the "hybrid" upgrade (15.8mm m/c and 2x 34mm or 2x32 mm calipers) ? I have been searching for this info but it semes I found no valuable feedback. I am thinking to do this upgrade on my CBR '97 but would like to understand the overall effects in terms of braking power / feel in case of this "hybrid" approach. Not sure if Brembo sells rear pump system with 12mm to fit Hondas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts